Pandemic ethics. COVID-19 and promoting a product.

Piotr Gaczkowski
8 replies
Pandemic ethics. How do you feel when COVID-19 is used to promote products? Examples: - an online store emphasizing that it is safer to order instead of going to physical stores - a call-enter emphasizing that direct sales are less effective due to the pandemic - remote work software using COVID-19 as one of the reasons for switching to this mode of operation

Replies

Tanya Volkova
I think there's a difference between using COVID-19 to promote something that would not be promoted without, on the other hand, if it adds value to the fight with COVID-19 I think there's nothing wrong with ethics here. We live in a new world, where things changed dramatically because of COVID. And I am from Belarus, we've been having a political crisis here for the past 2 months. Now marketers use this political crisis to promote the products - we see a lot of ads on relocation and moving businesses to other parts of the world. That I think it not ethical. But the emphasis on something in the product that helps you stay away from COVID-19 is ok as long as that's the way it is.
Tanya Volkova
@doomhammer no problem, curious to see what other think
Piotr Gaczkowski
@tanya_volkova thanks for sharing your perspective. It means a lot!
Abraham Samma
Personally, I do understand the "good business" mentality behind such promotions. In fact, I would argue it's good because it at least cushions the downward economic trend caused by the pandemic. As usual, it depends on what's being promoted and how (SaaS products are innocuous enough). Being sensitive, graceful and restrained when doing such promotions helps. Demand and supply is all well and good as long as it's not ethically dubious.
Piotr Gaczkowski
@absamma thanks, I'll keep that in mind!
Sanaz Bidad
My illustrate The outbreak has pushed consumers out of their normal routines. Consumers are adopting new habits and behaviors that many anticipate will continue in the long term. The COVID-19 outbreak has slowed the pace and changed daily life for many consumers, and this is having a profound impact on the way we view personal hygiene, health, and how we engage with our communities, friends, and families. People are embracing technology more than ever to support all aspects and consequences of isolation. There is also positive evidence to suggest that this crisis will build communities, rather than separate them.
Zize
Many people use this situation, which is now happening in the world, I think that people will always benefit from everything in order to make money, take advantage of the panic of people who will buy things that they, most likely, will not be interested in. Judging by the statistic on wikipedia https://wikimeters.com/deaths deaths in the USA are growing and this is not the limit, since the same people who sell kaike-something pills for covid do not even understand that a person can take them and if he is really sick, then he can die.