Best ways to acquire customers quickly?

Sharon Cohen
17 replies
So far, other than Product Hunt, we're also planning on getting on Instagram Influencers. However, I'm wondering if there are other ways to potentially find a large following? As funny as it sounds but our main goal right now isn't to get sales, as much as it is about seeing the market's reaction and get feedback. So the quicker we'll be able to find customers, the quicker we'll be able to refine and upgrade the product (although it's definitely great already). Not really into Facebook ads in the beginning, maybe only for retargeting. Counting on your opinion guys, would love to get any ideas or suggestions!

Replies

Gisela Mirandilla
I'm currently working on something similar. What I do is I tap into community leaders and influencers, and ask if they want to be part of developing the product. Asking for their help and making them feel they are part of something big makes them feel good. Most would say yes. What's your product by the way?
Sharon Cohen
@giselmirandilla sounds like you're nailing it! a very interesting method. I actually do some similar things but I haven't thought about any specific strategy for influencers yet.
Sharon Cohen
@giselmirandilla My product is a physical beauty product, actually. I'm curious, do you approach influencers the same way you'd approach them for influencer marketing?
Gisela Mirandilla
@sharon_cohen2 I approach them by building a genuine relationship with them. I join their communities (if they have one), immerse myself in and cheerlead their content. Message them privately about how I enjoy their work, and then I pitch. This whole sequence takes 1 week max. Our product is an AI-powered wellness companion and currently I'm targeting moms.
Tarek Dajani
If you are solely looking for feedback, why don't you have 20-30 minutes with your friends and get free feedback (that depends on your product type though)., Another way, although it is not the best way, is to provide a discount for a user if they leave their feedback. Also, maybe try Appsumo (if you get accepted), you give a huge discount, but should get a decent amount of users (if accepted). So these are three random thoughts that crossed my mind for quick feedback.
Sharon Cohen
@tdajani Thanks for the idea! We sell a physical product so I don't think we could be listen on Appsumo, but thanks for exposing this marketplace because it could sure be useful regardless
Tarek Dajani
@sharon_cohen2 Oh, that changes alot of things! I think only one thing from the above applies to you then. I think you need to add that you have a physical product to your question and briefly explain it. Good luck.
Hey Sharon, we are in exactly the same position as you (or at least similar). We have to improve our product and survive at the same time. We need a growing community, a mixture of people who are enthusiasts for our idea and targets, but also beta testers and hopefully soon people who really benefit from the product as customers and who are perhaps willing to support us by simply paying for the product. What am I doing? Virtual community building: - LinkedIn: I've gathered 8k followers there (connect, connect, connect...), but I learned that it is very difficult to navigate them into the funnel, so I would not invest the same time and effort here again, but perhaps there's a way to use it that I have not understood yet. - Twitter: I only started in Juli/August tweeting and did not find a way to grow the audience quickly. But I see this also as a path of self-definition, brand-value-research and definition. I've fun doing it but you have to be interested in the process otherwise it's a pain. - I've made some interesting experiences in some subreddits with getting some massive feedbacks but this lead only to Karma points, nothing that can be really used for virtual community building and funnel feeding. If someone is interested I made a numeric analysis of the interaction patterns in some typical startup-channels there, interesting results, that I would be happy to share and discuss (perhaps on twitter?). Really helpful. - then here on PH, but here it's also extremely time-consuming and slow to grow the community, but I think that a really promising reward waits for us when we start early enough, improve the product constantly and launch it here then later. - then I slowly started posting our project to parts of this list: https://www.startupranking.com/b... - now I see some users coming to our webpage, which is only a few weeks old, so no traction yet, except of a few hundred users - then the Content Marketing, PR and SEO, writing articles, building content clusters, getting in contact with journalists, exchanging ideas with them, listing the Website somewhere, developing a founder narrative, writing Press releases (Uh, I'm a bit shocked listing here all the activities I'm doing). I think all of this will start to pay off 6-12 months from now and then grow massively in importance, also the things I'm doing now. Preparing a good foundation is key to later success. And the stamina to do all of this. The picture I use for this process is a machine with many, many cog-wheels and I'm pushing and rotating them all at once with the power of my hands and therefore feel sometimes totally exhausted. But sometimes I've the impression that one of the wheels has moved slightly by another power than me, one wheel has moved another one - that's magic. If we keep on improving our products, testing our stories by telling them from different angles, growing the community, then there will be a moment in time, when the machine suddenly starts to move on its own. I would be super happy to gather a small community of founders in a similar position and helping each other with real tips but also with building a content-catapult, retweeting, recommending each other, upvoting - imagine how helpful this can become for our launch campaigns, imagine 20-50 people really helping each other, even fewer could be super powerful. Oh, now I liked the idea so much that I created a telegram group "Founders Supportive". Here is the link: https://t.me/joinchat/DQ2lhhzAo6... If you like, we could cooperate there for a while and ease each others founders life in virtual community building.
Sharon Cohen
@timz_flowers Hey Sam! Appreciate the time and effort, it's very helpful. I've never actually tapped into Twitter, I'm curious how it's helping your brand-value-research? I've been on Reddit for a while, I think it's great that you're aware enough of everything that you can analyze and identify patterns like that, I do the same and I think this is a key to moving forward. It's a must have to read between the lines in my opinion. For your growth with all this research, I must say that I had a call with an expert yesterday that gave me a few good tips for market research and growing the customer base. One of the most important things that he said was that you have to consider the amount of change the future customers must make in order to like and use your product. So if you're still looking for the best fitting customers for your business, you have to think "Who would benefit from this the most while also needs to do the least amount of change in their currently routine in order for them to love what you offer?". Once you know that, you also know where to find them and the best placements. Other than that, in my opinion the best way to have an engaged community is by having a Facebook group. And if you go to that direction, I can tell you from experience that creating a page for that group and running cheap engagement ads to posts that you're posting in that page to promote the group is a great way. I used to do it for fun and not for business, but it's a great approach that helps getting more exposure, and I'm intending to do the same thing in the future with my business. I'm always down to get to know more of you, it's great to support and be supported! My product is physical rather than a software or any other digital form, but I don't think that it matters.
Richard Fang
I'm in the same boat! I've been super lazy with content marketing but that's been my major growth for getting viewers to my website which have converted to my early access mail list. It's definitely a consistent long term play especially since you need to rank in certain keywords. Otherwise apart from the methods listed by everyone else, try using pioneer.app. Every week, your product is shared to around 5 - 10 other founders and you give each other feedback. The community is actually pretty cool and I've gotten pretty good feedback!
Sharon Cohen
@richardfliu do you run ads for your content marketing or do you mostly go for SEO? Will definitely check that app, sounds helpful. Thanks for the tips, Richard!
Richard Fang
@sharon_cohen2 Nah no ads just pure SEO. I am REALLY lazy with SEO but I did focus on it for around 1 - 2 months around a year ago when I first started. Helps drive around 200 views a week which may not sound much but for like very little work + consistent traffic, it's not bad for myself.
Jared Cornell
Hey Sharon, whether you wish to go for Instagram influencers or run a $100 Facebook ad, it all depends on the type of business you are into. What may work great for one business, might not work that well for others. If you have a product-based business, I would suggest you create relevant content (blogs, videos, webinars) around the same, that can help your prospective customers. Trust me its the best investment you can make. Besides this, for every small business, it is important to hold on to your first 100 customers. You can use a tool like ProProfs Help Desk (that comes with a forever free plan) and offer awesome support right from the start. Good luck!
Sharon Cohen
@jared_cornelll thanks for the tips! I'll check that tool. However for a physical product, what type of blog/videos do you refer to?
Jared Cornell
@sharon_cohen2 Well, that depends on the product that you are trying to sell. For instance, if you are into electronic gadgets, you may want to create unboxing or ''getting started with' videos. On the other hand, if you are into fashion accessories, you can target blog topics like- 10 must-have accessories for your winter 2020 collection. You can also keep a close eye on your competitors and see the type of content they are publishing.
Anuj Mishra
Since you sell physical products, the best and safest way to reach your first 20-30 customers is by meeting them in person. They can be your friends, work colleagues, or simply people who show interest in your product. Online or social media channels can help you spread the word quickly, but if people don’t like your product, things can soon spiral out of control. If you have already tried that, you can also run an email marketing campaign. This will help you generate a lot of queries from prospective customers. You can even use proprofs help desk software to easily categorize, track, and respond to hundreds of customer queries. Let me know how things turn out for you. I wish you good luck!