Thoughts around Alpha vs Beta launches?

Richard Fang
13 replies
Our product isn't ready for a 'beta' launch but we want to get it out as an alpha (as it is enough to showcase what we want to build). Would like to see some thoughts on some dos and don'ts and any additional thoughts and feedback?

Replies

Kristina Zakharchenko
we at Clario did both - Alfa and Beta. As we launched a completely different app for cybersecurity (with non-standard UI and UX, not feature-based). It helped us a lot - we got a lot of feedback and change a lot. Also, we used late Beta for gaining attention from journalists, as closed testing just for them. Btw, we just launched on PH - I'll be happy to hear your thoughts)
Taus Noor
@kristina_zagorulko Curious why you waited to launch on PH thru your Alpha/beta (or did you?)... My team and I are planning a Beta launch on PH soon (we're on the upcoming page now - https://gaze.ai/ph). What are your thoughts around that?
Kristina Zakharchenko
@gazeattaus we decided to wait until we have a stable product. However, I know, Product Hunt is the great place for beta launches
Taus Noor
@kristina_zagorulko Thanks! Love what you guys are doing btw -- we are working in a similar space (we're building a passwordless auth API). All the best to you and your team!
Richard Fang
@kristina_zagorulko Interesting so when you said you launched, was this an alpha product and did you go out to the public or kept it private? Yeah of course, let me check it out tonight :D
Kristina Zakharchenko
@gazeattaus Cool! Best wishes to your team as well! You're doing great thing!
could you provide a definition what's the difference between Alpha and Beta? In my understanding so far Alpha is closed development, Beta is integrating more testers, perhaps even the public (open beta). So I would be interested in learning what an Alpha launch could mean and where my understanding of the two terms is insufficient? Perhaps an Alpha launch = open Beta?
Richard Fang
@timz_flowers Yeah that's what I thought but then I asked someone recently and they said they released an 'alpha' first and my whole thought process went out the window. Wanted to see everyone else's opinions on it haha
Andreea Bunica
super interested in the topic- we're trying to understand what an alpha would mean for a hardware product, if anyone has any advice!
Richard Fang
@andreea_bunica Wow that's definitely an interesting use case - hopefully you get some answers!
I recommend sending out an alpha among your close network of peers that will provide you valuable feedback and won't apply any bugs or negative experience they have with your product to your brand & goal. During a beta, people do expect bugs, but nowadays things are being released pretty "polished" so you want to make sure you set the right expectations to your users and have a solid MVP for launch.
Richard Fang
@gabe__perez Yea i think the definition has changed. Years ago releasing a beta could potentially be a MVP but i think a beta these days needs to be a UVP - a pretty polished product with your direct unique value prop. Cheers for the feedback!
Tyler Christie
Good idea - I thnk its just important to be even more focused then on what you want to learn and where you want early users to focus. if you can do that then i think shipping as early as possible is great