How do you manage your Twitter accounts?

Chevas Balloun
9 replies
I have one bona fide startup product, I have a small business, I have a tabletop game invention side project, and I have a publication side project with 7 dedicated writers. (Only one of these produces any revenue. :D ) I have twitter accounts and facebook pages for all of them. Facebook has made it easy to simply have pages for each organization and then share posts from each organization's page. But what is a good practice for twitter? Should I use my personal twitter to promote all or some of these? Should I engage users from the company/organization accounts? Who has explored this question and what has been successful (i.e. built a real following)?

Replies

Aziz Akgul
@chevas I've been thinking about the same problem. I see that people are more interested in the founder rather than the brand. So, I think it makes sense to use the personal account as the main source of your tweets and retweet the relevant tweets in your project accounts. Building an audience is very important to test, improve and sell projects, but it's really difficult. I'm pondering about building an app for makers to help with the strategy (most likely for twitter) rather than the management of accounts which Buffer already handles well. Any ideas?
Chevas Balloun
@aziz_akgul1 Keep me in the loop on that if you start another thread. I'm a maker that is not even clear about what I need to do to grow my audiences.
Chevas Balloun
@aziz_akgul1 What would the app focus on strategy over account management? Would it be like a dashboard or something that tracked exposure?
Aziz Akgul
@chevas I'm not sure yet. It's very difficult to formulate the qualitative aspects like posting valuable info. Posting consistently seems very important but that would basically be a habit app. Interacting with the right people might be a good way to grow your audience, where graph theory and AI can be used. But I'm probably over thinking the solution. Maybe starting a new thread to get other makers' needs on growing their audience can be useful.
flo merian
For Twitter only, TweetDeck can help you manage multiple accounts. As you're active on several social networks, I'd recommend you to use Buffer. It's my personal preference to schedule posts on multiple accounts. The company also released Reply to respond to social conversations in one inbox, yet it's designed for teams and I'm not sure it's a good fit for individuals.
Chevas Balloun
@fmerian Thanks for your response. I should have specified that my question is more about strategy vs. the technical management of the multiple accounts. Nevertheless, I found that Tweetdeck's UI was too restrictive to really see the conversations appropriately. It was hard to get a good context within their layout. I have opted to install the browser extension "SessionBox" which enables me to have multiple accounts open in the same browser window. This has been truly game changing for me as it also allows me to manage the rest of their accounts (like mailchimp, instagram, etc.)
Abadesi
@chevas I would start by asking what your goal is. Are you hoping Twitter will help you acquire users for your services? And if so - which ones? Once you spend time on Twitter you can get an idea for the types of folks who are most active on it— if this aligns with your audience it could be a valuable channel to attract and engage with customers. It’s important for Twitter accounts to have a consistent voice or you won’t gain and retain followers. Think of Twitter as a personification of the brand and push content out accordingly. Try to find competitors accounts and get inspiration from them. Leverage your personal account where it makes sense to depending on who your followers are and the content they expect to see from you.
Chevas Balloun
@abadesi This is helpful, thank you.