Makers, where do you scribble?

Ashish Kumar Sahoo
28 replies
As a maker, we often scribble a lot of things. Be it an idea, some todos, any link we found on the internet, or maybe a code snippet. Most of the time I use sublime text to scribble things. What do you use to scribble something? Currently we are working on Whatnote, a browser first notepad with zero learning curve. (https://www.producthunt.com/upco...) , so trying to understand the thoughts from the community.

Replies

Mr Ethar Alali
!RocketBook Honestly? I can't recomment it enough! Done away with mountains of paper. https://getrocketbook.co.uk/
Mr Ethar Alali
@liveashish Yes, sorry. I've edited my comment and added the link. Thanks
Ashish Kumar Sahoo
@ethar_alali Could you share their link, please?
Amy Frame
Notion or old receipts lying around my desk! The receipts usually win ✌️(Notion works really well though, easy to split things into different categories)
Ashish Kumar Sahoo
@amy_frame Notion would be more of note taking right? When you're sort of organised thoughts. But sometimes you might have very random stuff to write, may be a quick note when you're in a meeting or a bunch of todos (may be you don't want to organise them as well). Do you feel that Notion solves that as well?
Amy Frame
@liveashish Personally Notion works for me for random brainstorming as well, just because you can combine different writing elements (checklists, headers, text, images) and it looks pretty organic on the page - but I know what you mean! For informal meetings I prefer having a small note book where I can take messy notes and then I just type them into their own Notion page after (gives the added benefit of no-one being able to decipher my handwriting during the meeting 😉).
Ashish Kumar Sahoo
@amy_frame Got you. We're working on something called Whatnote, which is meant to have really quick scribbles. This came to us out of frustration when there are a lot of platforms for note taking/todos but again, open up an app just to write something really quick is painful (or I often forget where did I write it). We will go live in early September. 😎 Here's the page: https://www.producthunt.com/upco...
Amy Frame
@liveashish Honestly looks awesome, I think that could be super useful - I'll tell my team, I think they'd all be pretty excited about it!
Caroline Chiari
Apple notes on my iPad. I like the pen and handwritten aspect of note taking.
David Grills
Old envelopes and notebooks. Notion.so also,but only when I think about it. I have bills and other mail with notes and scribbles all over.
Ashish Kumar Sahoo
@david_grills David, do feel that Notion.so is more for organised thoughts rather than a platform for scribbling your thoughts? I mean, scribbling has to be an uninterrupted experience. Where you don't have to think about title, font and all.
David Grills
@liveashish Yes. Scribbling is more spontaneous and in the moment. I think if I took the time to set up Notion for scribbling...for example, create a page called "Notes" and just had it open and ready to go, it could work. I think I will do that.
Valerie Fenske
Just an ordinary diary I review it every Saturday morning to plan the next days
Abhilash Jain
I use Whatsapp/Telegram quite often and I have a group that just has me pinned on the top to take down any thoughts I may have or anything I want to look back later. I spend sometime everyday / block time on a Sunday to go back to everything I've added and then organise it into Notion.
Ashish Kumar Sahoo
@findabhilash 😀 even I used to do so. Infact a lot of people do so. I know why we create this, it's so easy to do that and without have to worry what tool to use. You should check https://www.producthunt.com/upco..., I'm sure it would be super helpful.
Sophia Benhaddou
I used to use the Apple Notes app but I transitioned recently to https://www.faden.cloud/. It has just all the features I need for taking notes, journalling, writing down my tasks for the day or my shopping list. Even if it is minimalistic, it never get messy and I can find back anything I'm looking for :)
Ashish Kumar Sahoo
@sophia_benhaddou Looks they are invite only now. Sophia, if I may ask, do you think if you were able to jot down something without even leaving your browser would give you an uninterrupted experience?
Sophia Benhaddou
@liveashish I personally prefer the computer app. I could access Faden through the browser but having this window that never closes at the back of all my windows, is part of the experience. I also work offline the first 30 min of my day.
Albin Groen
⌨️ Keyboardnotes.io (https://keyboardnotes.io), online, super fast and keyboard first note taking.
Ashish Kumar Sahoo
@albin_groen I just checked keyboardnotes, it doesn't seem to be working with mobile I guess?
Henry Zhang
More recently I've been using the samsung note with its little pen feature to jolt down ideas when im away from my desk. When I'm at my desk, Atom for brainstorming and a little whiteboard under my monitor for my todo's and quick call notes.
Ashish Kumar Sahoo
@henry_zhang3 and do you ever need to organise all of these things? Because this happens to me, I write things at multiple places and when I have to search something, I have to check everything.
Henry Zhang
@liveashish I try to keep things that i need to refer back to after a time longer than a day or two on atom. Then i can keep all of my atom files organized. My samsung note works i just keep for immediate changes when Im not at my desk. If i want to save those notes on my desktop, then theres pushbullet
Michael Silberling
Random iPhone notes and reminders are my main spot. But, the back wall of my kitchen is dry-erasable (not sure why), so I use that occasionally as well. I would love a better alternative for "brain dumping."
Ashish Kumar Sahoo
@msilb7 I loved the term 'brain dumping'. If I may ask, why would need another alternative when you're already using iPhone notes?
Niels R.
On notes on my Macbook :-)
Gunjan Bhardwaj
Apple notes or GoodNotes app