How do you expand your network?

Anna Stoianova
10 replies
Recently, I saw a study that we are losing our social capital by working from home. Makers, how do you keep your social capital alive and growing? I'm really struggling to meet new people, not speaking about clients, but peers and other professionals to exchange thoughts, to make friends, etc. Before the lockdown I used to meet new people on events, however, online events are not really aimed for networking. So any creative ways to expand connections?

Replies

Goharik Hovhannisyan
Webinars and job related expos are the best versions to discover new professionals, make friends during this new normal. I've managed to make 20+ new connections from yesterday's HR conference and have already talked to a couple of them by phone. Do not mentioning about adding them in the all possible social channels. What I feel crucial during these times is the ability to talk to everybody especially to the ones whom you found the least interesting ones. You never know who is that particular person especially now unless you start the communication. When you force yourself to connect with who you don’t want to connect with, then you're on the right path of widening your social world and jumping out of your comfort zone. I call it an imperfect social search engine. It worked so far :)
Anna Stoianova
@goharik_hovhannisyan That's what I mean! When you are online you only mean those whom you want! But you do not interact with the "real world" of not-homogenous people.
Alex Papageorge
Webinars. Your an expert in something, talk to it. I've been doing both paid and unpaid webinars and the reception has been pretty positive..
Anna Stoianova
@alex_papageorge thank you! I attend them often, but I never present, just listen. I probably need to try speaking too. Still online we are limited with the topic and timing.
Amy Frame
@alex_papageorge That's a great idea, where do you find out about relevant webinars coming up?
Anna Stoianova
@alex_papageorge @amy_frame I mostly look at my LinkedIn feed or from my network. Also, from meetup.com newsletter - they turned most of their events online now. And you?
Alex Papageorge
@amy_frame LinkedIn has honestly been the main source. If you connect with a handful of people that are influencers in the industry/vertical, chances are a 3rd generation post will find it's way to you!
Daniel OSPINA
host an event in remo.io (I don't have shares, sadly)
Amy Frame
Absolutely feel the same, especially after leaving a larger research environment where you'd bump into new colleagues in the lunch room - been enjoying forums like these or online forums on the specific topic I find interesting (e.g. med tech law)
Valerie Fenske
communities like Product Hunt and IndieHackers are a great way to build new connections. Some Facebook groups are also nice.