How do you condense your business's value proposition?

Henry Zhang
4 replies
Something I've struggled with greatly is properly expressing my business's value proposition in one easily digestible line. I always find that I'm either missing a core piece of what makes us unique or it sounds like I'm just spewing buzzwords chained together. How do you all handle getting a bite sized value proposition for those hallway conversations?

Replies

Caroline Chiari
Use the "X for Y" format. Where X is a very well known company/product and Y is what you offer. For Koupi, I say it's "iTunes for Automation." Of course, we're far from the iTunes level of success, but when you hear that statement, everything you intrinsically associate with iTunes gets associated with Koupi and what we do, and the field we do it for. When I think of iTunes I think of easy to use, create my own playlist, add my own content, buy or subscribe to get music online.
Henry Zhang
@caroline_chiari ahh. I would imagine the idea there would be to use a company/product not in your field as a descriptor. That's clever! thanks for the advice!
Caroline Chiari
@henry_zhang3 No, you can use a company/product in your field, it may even work better. For example you could describe LinkedIn as Facebook for professionals.