What is your single biggest challenge when collaborating with others to build a software product?

Christopher Chae
7 replies
Curious to know about what keeps you up at night as a designer, developer, or a product manager.

Replies

Devo
The absolute biggest challenge I have seen is alignment. The bigger your team is the more potential for mis-alignment. Keeping everyone in the loop constantly is a lot of work and can cause things to move slower. At the same time if all the sub teams are going in different directions then that isn't good for the total business either.
Christopher Chae
@devon_devo_frohne Right, the more members you have on your team, more breakage in information and knowledge flow. Would you say if all that was to be automated in someway, that would have some value to your team? (so you could work on your craft, instead of spending all your time to hold people together?)
Devo
@chaeschris Automation sounds awesome, but it doesn't sway opinion. Data, more information and discussion can change opinion and helps to align.
Robert Zalaudek
Hi Christopher: The biggest challenge that I've found is staying aligned with my business partners. As individuals with different interpretations of what we're building and why it's sometimes hard to ensure that everyone stays on the same page throughout the process.
Christopher Chae
@robert_zalaudek thanks for sharing. I hear you, it's really hard to get everyone on the same page. Have you tried rallying everyone with a visual (ie. mockups, wireframes, etc.)? I've seen some teams literally print out visuals in the middle of the office and have everyone gather around it.
Abadesi
I say communication: setting expectations, raising blockers, ensuring everyone is on the same page. It's a challenge for sure.
Christopher Chae
@abadesi, thanks for sharing. How are you doing it right now? Curious, because our team actually had the same exact need.