6 features you should consider in your MVP that take little extra work for very high reward

Joshua Fonseca
2 replies
Two months after launching my MVP, there are some things I regret not including from the beginning. Here are 6 features you should consider in your MVP that take little extra work for very high reward 1. Choose a nice font It ups your look 10x, and it takes minimal effort to implement. The overhead is light enough to warrant having this in your MVP 2. Add an Invite Friends/Share button This would have accelerated my growth much more quickly in the beginning. It takes some learning to get right, but it wouldn't take you more than a day to add it in well. 3. Prompt Users for Feedback It's an MVP. You need to know how people are using your product, and where they think it's going to be improved. Finding the right moment to prompt for feedback can be tricky, but very worth it. 4. Be Descriptive Your product is new. People do not know how to use your product. Be descriptive, no matter how simple it seems to you. For example, my app used to say: "Add some friends" And now it says: "To add friends, go to the search tab and look for their username" 5. Add an Onboarding Process In relation to being more descriptive, give users a tour when they walk in! Let them know how you intend for them to use your product. Users will benefit from learning the language that you are creating within your product's environment. 6. Implement one-click login Passwords suck to type, verifying your password sucks, getting a verification email sucks, etc.. Use a federated login because you will lose people with an annoying signup process. Trust me, I've lost hundreds. If you're building an MVP, I hope these tips help :)

Replies

Kanika Tibrewala
Aaah #5. We're almost about to launched our MVP (will be on product hunt in another week) and onboarding was its most fun and complex feature to design. We optimised it to solve for core business problems like reducing drop-offs and keeping monetary investments to the minimum (early-stage constraints ha!). As a designer, working on features like this that focus on growth, is hugely educative and stimulating. We've translated it into consumable principles and would love to share it here when its ready. Keep an eye out!
Carlo Thissen
The onboarding process is probably the most important...and also hardest thing to solve. Did you make some learnings on how to adapt it? Reg. "Be descriptive" = 100% agreed. This also counts for marketing taglines and fancy wording. The most important thing is to convey the value instead of sounding smart.