Hey tech employers, what do you wish to see in a junior dev portfolio?

Huaiyu Khaw
8 replies
Designing a web app to show what side projects my student dev friends are building. (1) to encourage the beautiful practice of building side projects (2) to have a directory easy to check out what my friends are doing. (3) make friends and talk to the makers of the products that I found interesting. (4) that directory then becomes a place for tech employers to spot interesting portfolios.

Replies

Kelvin ko
For me, It would be great to have a link to some actual coding. For example, some project in GitHub (even simple app is fine). I think other engineer interviewer would like to see the coding style (e.g. naming, pattern, structure and library).
Huaiyu Khaw
@ko_kelvin Thanks for your suggestion!
Paul Rinaldi
I'm not an employer yet, but this may help if no employers are on here yet! https://www.youtube.com/user/Tyc...
Rhona Aylward
Examples using all the different programming languages they can work in
Huaiyu Khaw
@rhona_aylward Thanks. Would adding the framework/stacks they are familiar with make sense too? One thing I think I should avoid is making them language/tools focus, instead the problem solving skills are more important, as tools can be learned when it is needed. Thanks for pointing it out!
Rhona Aylward
@huaiyukhaw Yes, definitely! That's true about tools being learned but as an employer I'd hire a junior dev with some demonstrable knowledge over someone who says they can learn a tool but has no practical knowledge of it. When you're looking for a job, any small advantage is worth highlighting :-)