How do you plan to acquire first 100 users to your product?

Vlad Zaev
6 replies
So many of us are going to launch different products at PH. So I'd like to ask the community: Before your launch did you make a plan to acquire users in future? I mean the very first users could come from PH, but after that do you have a marketing plan? Do you know your market? Or users? To my mind it is not enough to tell about a product at different websites just like PH, Betalist, Reddit or smth else. As for me I plan to place ads at FB groups, Google ads and, may be, some direct messages. And you?

Replies

Oleksandr Senyuk
Having overlooked Reddit and communities like this one in the beginning, I'd say building a community here is a lot more comfortable (even if it isn't easier). But beyond that, it depends on the audience. And once we had a plan to reach them, we planned on changing the plan often to optimize what's working now and keep consistent with what will eventually give results in the future. For us, reaching out to media outlets, blogs, and YouTube channels to reach as many people at once as possible with each publicity piece is the plan.
Oleksandr Senyuk
@vlad_zaev Online magazines and news blogs.
Vlad Zaev
@oleksandr_senyuk What kind of media outlets do you plan to reach?
Amy Tang
Having a mailing list (mostly friends and family, and friends of friends) really helped - it got me my first 30-40 users. I would also try the Start Up School community. It's free from YC and I've made a few really great connections there (including a founder with a streaming site who let me advertise on it for free). In hindsight though, I would have worked to optimize the conversion funnel from the top down (which is something I'm going back and doing now), instead of trying to optimize the product, the website that sells the product, and the problem framing all at the same time. It's a slog, but by the time you finally launch, you already have a captive audience who'll give you meaningful feedback on the product because they actually want to see it improved. Hope this helps - and good luck!!
Vlad Zaev
@amy_tang what product did you work on?
Amy Tang
@vlad_zaev I'm working on Folio Travel, making tailored travel guides using a combination of AI and human travel expertise. https://www.producthunt.com/post...