Search engine optimization for a new webapp

Deepak Joshi
6 replies
I want to improve the domain authority. Google says I should try to get backlinks from some respected domains. What all can be done? The goal is not to improve the pagerank for some keywords but to increase the domain authority in general.

Replies

Jason Cochran
@deepak_positive Content, content, content. Oh, and content. Sure links are good. Good page titles from keywords in your content. Content is king.
Deepak Joshi
@jason_cochran Yes sir, links from less reputed sites are not useful but what about good ones like some popular blog or news website. Although its true that good content will automatically attract their attention, its never a guarantee. Suppose you have $5000 to spend, and you have two choices to spend the money to 1) Content 2) Some PR agency/Journalist How would you distribute the money?
Deepak Joshi
@jason_cochran So suppose I create a lot of quality content, and even do all the on page SEO. Will it corresponds to a good domain authority, even when there are no backlinks?
Jason Cochran
@deepak_positive No. You still need backlinks, but links are not your priority - content is. Backlinks are like a "trust" score. The site or creator who links to you trusts that you are an authority in whatever content you are putting out there. Google adds the trust score to your content score, but links are not as heavily weighted as content. I could create a bot to go out there and post millions of links back to your site, but the Google rating algorithm is smart and will penalize you for trying to game the system. Quality comes from real human effort (at least for now anyways).
Cosmin Gheorghila
@deepak_positive In my opinion 80 (advertorials on trusted websites) / 20 (content on your own website). Personally I saw websites with medium content ranking a lot with strong backlinks