Please don't steal my product idea!

Deepak Joshi
22 replies
So I developed this product with all my heart. I have invested so much time in it and I believe its the best idea ever. Now when the product is ready and its time for promotions, I am scared. I fear if I tell people about it, someone will steal it from me. Does anyone else have this fear too?

Replies

Oye Fan
New ideas are risky. And people don't invest in risky things. Its like a gamble for them. But for you, the case is different because of your belief and vision.
Roch Mamenas
Everyone has this fear and you should ignore it and tell everyone you literally can about your product! When I started https://whoonid.com I was terrorized someone will steal the idea and didn't speak about it... but if you don't speak about your product, how do you expect people to learn about it?
Deepak Joshi
@piotr_mamenas thank you for the advice sir, good to know I am not alone. So did anyone try to steal whoonid?
Roch Mamenas
@deepak_positive Not at all, people have their own ideas. You can't even validate if your idea is good if you don't talk about it
Gabrielė Jusaitytė
The fear is real and it doesn't go away (at least for me). When we were starting it felt like we're the only ones with this great idea, but the truth is, it's almost not possible - if it's a great idea, there will be someone else in another part of the world thinking the same thing. There are a lot of similar products in the market, some of them make it and some are being forgotten. I think that the most important think is execution - have a better value proposition, have better UI/UX or an amazing marketing campaign. As long as users chooses and are sticking with you, you don't have to worry about the competition. If you do find someone working on your idea - learn from them - see how they promote their product, what is working and what is not and improve your approach accordingly 😉
Lauren Brose
I listened to this great episode on how I built this (Sara Blakely from Spanx) and she talked about how she held off from telling people about her idea, mainly because she did not want people to steal it or discourage her from doing it ("if it was a good idea, someone would have done it already!"). That really resonated with me. The thing is, it's YOUR idea. Even if someone stole it, they would never be able to capture the spirit of your vision. And being first there also isn't the silver bullet to success. Sometimes you gotta allow an early pioneer to figure the market out for you. I think that marketing and creating buzz is a really big part of a successful launch. But first you gotta talk about it. ;) By doing this, you're allowing people to give you their 2 cents (don't take things personally) so you can ask yourself throughout the process whether there is market demand, if this is the right solution fit, and whether you're correctly targeting your persona.
John
If people steal your idea, it should make you feel good that you have something good :) But then it's all about the execution, people always take the example of Facebook, Mark isn't the only one or the first one to have the idea of a social network. It's how he executed the idea that got him where he is. Also don't forget that if you don't talk to anyone about your idea, there's no way to know if it's good. Your product should solve a problem, unless you've invented something insane like teleportation or time travelling, you need to put in in the hands of users to make sure it actually works - you'd be surprised to see how many things seem logical/obvious to you and that your users won't see/recognize/like. Best of luck for your launch!
Deepak Joshi
@pyndle So a less talented person with a great idea will end up nowhere?
John
@deepak_positive Well execution is definitely more decisive than the idea itself. Competitors can always catch-up, and make something better or grow faster out of the same idea. All I'm saying is you shouldn't launch a startup thinking you've got the idea of the century so it's all good you'll make it no matter what, just because of that idea :) And also that you will have to launch/get public at some point anyways, so you might as well do it now. If there's potential, sooner or later you will have competition busting your a** over this market, no matter what you do.
John
@deepak_positive Also, and that doesn't come from me but from one of the YC partners (I think it was Michael Siebel but not 100% sure): don't fall in love with your product. You might find out that this is not what the users want, and you have to give the users what they want, even if this means change you product in a way you never thought of.
Ryan Warrener
This is natural. Especially when it's something you're extremely proud/passionate about. I always struggle to put 100% in and use this as an excuse. A good reminder that helps me is, for every Netflix there's an Amazon Prime and for every Amazon Prime there's a Disney+ etc. Hope this helps!
Deepak Joshi
@rynwrrnr Yes sir, it does help. "For every Netflix there's an Amazon Prime and for every Amazon Prime there's a Disney+." Thank you
Vadim Petrunin
A lot of people can have the similar ideas. You can even have the working product. But actually idea itself is nothing. The implementation is the biggest issue, and noone can steal from you your creativity, your fantasy. Facebook wasnt first, but it became the best;)
Deepak Joshi
@vadim_petrunin So a less talented person with a great idea will end up nowhere?
James Skarzynski
Depends on the idea. SaaS? Just share it. If someone steals it that's just validation. If you can't deal with competition you shouldn't bother trying. Physical product? Do you have eyes on a patent? If so, absolutely do not share it.
Dane H. Madsen
Unless people know why you did a thing, knowing what or how is useless
Deepak Joshi
@cascadiarocks I don't understand sir. Why is "why" important?
Dane H. Madsen
@deepak_positive Technology is not that different - platforms, products, etc. it is why it was built that is different. "Why" is core to what you are making - What is the why of Facebook? You could have all the same idea - say a "social network" - with the same technologies - you could have an identical copy - but why you want to, what you think the model is, what your vision, mission, and ambition determine what you use that technology for - is what makes your company different. If that makes any sense.
Deepak Joshi
@cascadiarocks This is very deep sir. So the "why" drives people involved giving them direction, energy and confidence. Higher the drive, better the product. Great sir. Thanks!
Skyler Ocean
@Deepak i too had a fear of that constantly with every new idea or thing i thought up & the truth is what all these kind people have already shared with u plus just pray give it up to the Creator n let his will be done brother with your full excitement n enthusiasm your vision idea product service or whatever it may be will shine plus anytime i didn't tell i procrastinated & next thing i knew bam it comes out without me cause i didn't move fast enuff or strike while iron was hot u know. Anywho Goodluck brutha man & GodBless