Where is your Product stuck? We can help each other.

kush
15 replies
There are so many of us here that we can easily help each other. A few examples: 1. Idea and concept validation 2. Early beta testing, UX testing 3. Early Growth So anything you need help with, post away. I love trying new products and will do my best to help you. I will start. I could use help with User / Beta Testing for LightCat.io We have over 50+ teams signed up in the last 10 days. My engagement goal is - Each team should create or edit more than 20 User stories every day. I want to learn where could LightCat be improved to meet this goal.

Replies

Sophia Benhaddou
Hi @kush! how do your current users use LightCat? Daily as their main tool for product management? Or are they still continuing to use their trello/jira and are thinking "I'd try LightCat sometimes, it could be better"?
Sophia Benhaddou
@kush_apoorva Yeah I have this same feeling about asking the question. My experience was that it brought an awkward moment. People didn't wanna tell me the truth I guess because they were afraid of making me feel bad, even if I said "your honest feedback would really be helpful". I'm thinking about asking the question in a totally different setting : for example asking the user for a quick UX test on a new mockup and trying to squeeze the question in or at least understand what they think. This way the discussion is not about "us" and "them" directly. Will let you know how it goes! It's amazing that the 2 teams started using it actively! You'll probably find better insights with them!
kush
Hi @sophia_benhaddou, great question. During conversations, it seems that they want to use it as their main tool for product management. Every product team has a planning problem (what to prioritize, where are the specs) which Lightcat solves. And they get onboard pretty happily and use it. But, my guess is that after some usage, they seem to fall back on their habit of using something else.
Sophia Benhaddou
@kush_apoorva Ok I think that the fact that they onboarded happily and started using it is a good sign (I'm still struggling myself with this step). Could you ask them why they haven't been using it? It could be that there is a problem with the product (which is fixable!) or that they realize they actually don't really need such a product.
kush
@sophia_benhaddou Makes sense. I guess at some level I have been afraid of asking that question. In my prior experience, reasons typically lie anywhere in the range from "I have been busy, but this looks promising" to "I guess I don't need this". I would be happy to conclude that they don't *need* the product. But then, sometimes some of the same users come back and start using actively (2 teams did this). Asking directly may not help - people aren't great at predicting their own behavior because it's guided by many external factors. But I guess I must find a way to ask this. Thanks for sharing. :-)
Choky
hi there @kush_apoorva. i could use some help on early growth on my product. feedback is always welcome, so any person that want to take a look at Snowball please do. the web page is https://appsnowball.com/ and the product page is https://www.producthunt.com/post... I will take a look at LightCat and let you know my thoughts ;)
kush
@choky Hey Choky, quick thoughts. First of all, good idea - especially with some many people so concerned about things these days. 1. Sourcing: Most people share their concerns on twitter, HN etc. If you could find a way to crosspost, or even pull some of the topics from their. You could be the one seeding some of the topics initially. When someone goes to your site, maybe they could see a list of trending topics, and join in something they care about. Content is king. 2. People share concerns with some tacit goals. For seeing a change, you have Change.org, for spreading awareness - Twitter etc. You may want to find that underlying motivation for your application. 3. The copy on your homepage seems confusing. I'd change it to one sentence : 'Discuss the topics you care about. Make it Snowball', or something. You could try headlime.io to discover good copy. I'd list down all possible 'features' in one place and rate them on possible impacts on Growth (new user acquisition). Then deploy those changes and track which of these are helping with growth. All the best.
Choky
@kush_apoorva thanks a lot for the feedback, interesting ideas. i am working right now in creating a share option, that will provide the cross-post. ;)
Mark
I made the app and it's great, I uploaded it on App Store and get some good stats, but compare to my competitor it still so small. Then I take seriously on learning how to marketing the mobile app, but feel so lost in it.. Do you have any advice for me on this subject (marketing mobile app) Sorry english isnt my native.
Wayne Smallman
Hi @kush, how did you get those 50+ teams?
Wayne Smallman
Hi @kush_apoorva, did you write these discussion and put them out that as-is, or did you encourage people to share, vote, comment and so on? It's interesting — and refreshing — that you acknowledge that you were fortunate in that the one here on Product Hunt began trending, so perhaps timing played some part, also. Good fortune is impossible to replicate, but it's also essential to success, as is a strong and deep network.
kush
@waynesmallman I got luck with the ones that trended. My point here was this - with carefully done experiments, in as large quantities as possible, you are highly likely to get lucky in at least one.
Wayne Smallman
Hi @kush_apoorva, that's the theme of the article — you were (and I imagine continue to be) prolific, and analytical.
kush
@waynesmallman Thanks for your kind words, Wayne.