Are Introverted Makers less likely to launch fast?

kush
7 replies
As an Indie developer, I need to build, ship and also work on Growth. I have found myself constantly being stressed out at the "idea" of sharing blogs, posts, etc with external audiences. This seems like the digital equivalent of introversion. Consequently, I have a very very high tendency to stop distribution and focus on building instead. Every single time I share a post (like this), I flinch. If I could, I would avoid talking, like the last 12 odd months (not good for business 😊). Is this something other makers have also felt or noted? Other than 'powering through' which is what I do, any tips on getting better at it? -- LightCat.io - Make Great Products via Scientific Product Planning [ Everything I do is an obvious and petty attempt to promote my product. ;-) ]

Replies

Kalesh Kaladharan
I am fighting with something else. I like the process of building things, I like the idea of building things and these two are pushing me away from launching. I feel like I want to make the prefect product before launching it and this results in me keeping on building things forever. Any thoughts on how to overcome this?πŸ€·πŸΌβ€β™€οΈπŸ€·πŸΌβ€β™€οΈπŸ˜πŸ˜ And equity on one of the product I developed pay my bills. So there is that safety. I don't know if this is making me procrastinate or is it the perfectionist character. Somehow I have to find motivation to release the 7 products this year itselfπŸ€ͺπŸ€ͺ
Kalesh Kaladharan
@kush_apoorva Most of them were started years back and was dropped to move on to another one. Never released any of them and one unfinished product dates back to 2015πŸ€¦β€β™€οΈπŸ€¦β€β™€οΈ I am planning to release all of them this year and focusing only on that. I putting hold to all new ideas that's coming my way. I will definitely notify you if I document the story.
kush
@kalesh13 7 Products in one year. You should totally document the story and share it widely. This itself gave enough traffic to Snapboard.io founder, which (I guess) played a role in him getting into YC as a single founder. I realise that being able to pay the bills can be one big reason to procrastinate on the release. Been there - I most of 2019 chasing a complex idea because I knew I could. But, eventually I kicked myself into action. I am sure you will too ;-) Whether the product is right is a complex question. I believe that the real development begins AFTER you have 20-30 users in B2B, not before that. But you must have a useful thing to get to that number, so you got to cover some ground before releasing. All the best - do let me know if you document your story. Would love to know how it panned out.
Dinesh Thakur
It's hard to tell introverted makers launch the product fast. If you don't like marketing and distribution stuff, may be ask your colleague to do this job. One person in team has to take this responsibilities (who like or ok with it) and to do this on consistent basis.
kush
@dinesht My question is more around whether there is a correlation between personality type and the liking for marketing and distribution, even if there is no person to person interaction (like in sales). Though I agree that someone must take this up and do it consistently.
Abhinav R
One approach I think that'd be useful could be a planning calendar. This can be around events like 4th of July, labour day etc. or just at a frequency that works for you. You could start with rough draft that you refine first Saturday of every month. I'm not good at this either and these are the ideas I'm thinking for myself and sharing with you.
kush
@abhinav_rastogi1 I have not seen a lot of success with special events, with Christmas and Diwali being exceptions. I do agree with the content calendar though. I have published my last week's growth experiment system here - https://bit.ly/2VBtbgl . This gave me 42 new signups in a week's time. Maybe there's something you could also use.