What tricks do you use to build good habits πŸ“–πŸƒβ€β™‚οΈπŸ§˜β€β™€οΈ?

Daniel Tkachenko
7 replies
I study what tricks people use to build new habits. Right now we have a closed beta testing of the application that helps to build good habits. This is the best app that will change the game.

Replies

Abadesi
Incentives and penalties help me. A treat when I do something right, a penalty when I fail.
Daniel Tkachenko
@abadesi I will tell you the main idea of my application, and you tell me if you like it :) The app is based on the simple motivating game "Collect the Word". If you mark the habit as β€œDone” - you will receive 1 letter, and therefore every day you collect letters, in the end you will collect a word. If you marked β€œNot Done,” the previous letters that you collected have burned out, and you need to start collecting the word from the very beginning. This is briefly :)
Abadesi
@daniel_tkachenko That is an interesting idea but definitely wouldn't work on me. I usually incentivise myself in more tangible ways like - if I finish this project by X oclock I get a matcha latte from my fave cafe. If not, I get nothing.
Aleix Ramon
Everything in the book Atomic Habits by James Clear is gold! Btw can you tell more about your app?
Daniel Tkachenko
@aleix_ramon The app is based on the simple motivating game "Collect the Word". If you mark the habit as β€œDone” - you will receive 1 letter, and therefore every day you collect letters, in the end you will collect a word. If you marked β€œNot Done,” the previous letters that you collected have burned out, and you need to start collecting the word from the very beginning. This is briefly :)
Aleix Ramon
@daniel_tkachenko So it has like a streak counter (like in Duolingo or Readwise) but in a more original way, interesting.
Dimitris Niavis
Over the years I've tried many things to get to stick to new rituals long enough so that they could stand a chance of becoming a habit. Incentives definitely help, but unless they're personalised and ad hoc to each day, they soon become less, well, incentivising.. The strongest incentive, for me, is to be able to see the progress towards my goal. Especially on the days that I really don't feel like doing the thing.