If you’re bootstrapping, you don’t get to sell the $10 product?

Graeme
5 replies
What pricing are you offering for your app? How do you decide? Do you agree that "if you’re bootstrapping, you don’t get to sell the $10 product"? ---- I've seen hints that a freemium tier might work, so find myself leaning towards it. e.g. one person found my product from a 'Powered by' link, and each time I send the Prototypr.io newsletter out with "Made with Letter" in the footer, I see a small bump in subscribers to my product's Ship page. Intercom's product grew from this - 'Powered By' made the app became their biggest inbound referral. I remember Marvel mention they had success with it when I worked there. So free can be okay, as long as you have paid tiers to go with it. Has anyone got any experience with this?

Replies

Tuan (Alan) Nguyen
This is actually a very good topic to discuss. My app (https://habitify.me) has gone through all the tiers and now we've settled down on a freemium-subscription model. It works perfectly fine for us. This model can even sustain both Habitify and also another app that we're building at the moment. P/s: We bootstrap :)
Soumya Arora
@nguy_n_hung_tu_n1 Hey!! I love habitify! Didn't know you guys were on Product Hunt! If you don't mind, I just had a question regarding pricing. Your monthly price is 5.99 / m while your yearly price is $25 (so around $2 / month). Is there a reason why there's such a huge difference? Have you considered raising your yearly price or decreasing your monthly price? Thank you!
tela
I’ll be writing a blog post on my experience. I went from thinking free, to purely paid, and finalized freemium eventually. But I only went with freemium when I understood it was the right offer for my ideal customers, had enough differentiation in paid features, and could provide a great freemium experience, where users don’t feel like we’re blocking them from the core value. I am glad to hear that referral and attribution worked for you. It’s a key part of my growth plan for 1Brand.
Graeme
@tela Yeah I think attribution works best for embeddable products - e.g. Marvel is prototype, intercom is widget..1Brand sounds like something people could embed too
Donald Ng
Does $50/mo considering a high price point?