Is it a little annoying that big companies launch products we already know about on Product Hunt?

zOxta
12 replies
Personally, I like to discover new products launched by indie hackers, small companies or new companies. The reason I am asking this, is because I often see new/existing products made by big companies that already have coverage in a dozen other places and channels. Just wondering if I am the only one here thinking about this. (I am a relatively new PH user, so excuse me if I am asking the wrong question). Again, it's completely fine if everyone does not think the same, just curious.

Replies

Artem Galenko
What kind of companies you are talking about? for example
zOxta
@unrealartemg Thanks for chiming in! Like yesterday for example, Apple Launching the 16” MacBook Pro... I don’t think I prefer to see this as a “hunted product”, I’m repeating that this is a personal opinion. Also this kind of products easily get a lot of upvotes that other good ideas launching the same day may just get blown away. The positive effect and publicity that PH would bring to a truly new product that deeply needs some coverage can easily evaporate because a big name or two just launched the same day.
Artem Galenko
@zoxta Ohh I understand but not Tim Cook launched it. It was Amrith Shanbhag Head of Social at Product Hunt! With all respect it wasn't big company's decision. It was a personal decision of Mr. Shanbhag.
zOxta
@unrealartemg I don’t think it matters who made the submission, I’m talking about the concept of the type of the product that gets hunted. What do you think?
Artem Galenko
@zoxta I think maybe it is not so fair to compete with big names, maybe it will be a good idea to make another topic for them
Laurent Lemaire
Can't agree more!
Riccardo Stornelli
I see your point and I was surprised when I first saw some "big and well know products" presented here, on Product Hunt. Anyway I think it's interesting to see also the big brand here, just as a reminder. For example I have been waiting the new MacBook Pro 16" for weeks/months, everyone was rumoring about it, but I found out it was officially presented yesterday thanks to PH. So good job PH, keep going! :)
zOxta
@riccardo_stornelli Actually I have also known from PH first about the new MBP and even upvoted it without thinking. But that’s why I would love to see these products on a different list/stream on PH maybe and not directly competing with others that are way less popular.
Rhona Aylward
I've been thinking about this and I wonder how successful Product Hunt would be without the big companies launching here? People are attracted because there are big companies launching, therefore small companies that launch here get more attention than they would get otherwise as a result.
Stephane Ibos
@rhona_aylward Interesting take, but I think it's the way around. PH has been around for quite a while now (starting as a newsletter-type stuff) and has developed itself into that 'discover new things early' platform. When Big Guys discovered it had an audience is when they started "launching" here. I for one think it's a bit of a shame. It changes the game which was meant to be genuine (like - vote) to something fare more engineered now.
Rhona Aylward
@stephane_ibos . I'm pretty new to PH (and not in the US) so didn't see the early days but on reflection I think you're right!