Are you a technical or non-technical founder/co-founder?

Elena
13 replies

Replies

Michael Andreuzza
I am actually surprised of the results until now.
Vamshi Vangapally
@michael_andreuzza It's producthunt - results would have been a little different if the poll was on IH!
Robert Zalaudek
Thanks for the question and for starting the discussion @elenanabi My impression from reading posts on PH and on various growth hacking groups is that there technical founders who think that they need a non-technical founder and vice-versa. I'm not sure that's the case these days given the number of low-code/no code tools (for the non-technical founders) the number of business consultancies and tools (for the technical founders). Would be interested in others' thoughts.
Elena
@robert_zalaudek Robert, the reason I asked was because I had a feeling that most of the makers here build (code) their own products. I mean.. there is definitely a certain sexiness in it 😎I am the "non-technical" side in our team, but thankfully I have a co-founder who is highly technical. I agree that most tools nowadays allow you to build an MVP without any code involved. And I applaud those technical co-founders who can also promote themselves, their products, write articles, shoot videos, write guests posts, be part of the community while still building their product full time!
Robert Zalaudek
@elenanabi I'm also the non-technical founder and, like you, am fortunate to have a very strong technical co-founder. It will be interesting what others have to say on the topic.
Abadesi
I didn't know what to pick here because although my coding skills are pretty elementary I have built everything related to my business using no code tools. I feel the distinction is inaccurate or outdated given how easy it is to build digital products without software engineering.
Rebecca DeForest
@abadesi I was thinking this exact same thing!! I don't write code, but I build things. So am I technical or not? The line marking the distinction between the two types of founders in question is very blurry!
Elena
@abadesi you are absolutely right! I should have been more specific. I guess, depending on what you are building and how complicated it can be, you can absolutely build something without writing any code. I agree 💯. Though, I do feel that most startup teams when looking for the second/third co-founder, want to find someone who can complement their skills. The magic trio - hustler, hacker and hipster 🙂
Abadesi
@elenanabi I hear you! I get the hustler and hacker part of the equation but what does the hipster do? 🧐
Elena
@abadesi Hipsters are all about UI, UX, marketing and branding, Hustlers are all about sales, pitching, finances and Hackers - front-end, back-end coders. I call it the "perfect" team which we rarely get, lol. Most of the time, the teams I meet at startup events consist of two co-founders - one technical, who builds the product (CTO), and the other one, non/slighly-technical - who promotes it (usually a CEO). But you are right, in the world we live in, with all the tools we have, those roles get blurred easily.