Are you seeking to bootstrap your company instead of taking VC funding?

Cory Decker
3 replies
Curious how many others reject the startup model and prefer to create a priviate, founder and employee-owned company for life.

Replies

George Koshy
I am bootstrapping my startup and I would be happy if the company grows really big without outside funding. That doesn't mean I am not open to investment. At this stage of my startup it is more about building something meaningful for my users before I start getting the feeling that investment will really help me take it to the next level or adds much more value quickly than if I went the bootstrapped way.
Abadesi
I have an education company that serves a really specific problem. I tried and failed to raise investment but then decided to stick to bootstrapping because most investors suggested I move away from the specific problem I was focused on in order to access a bigger market. I don't subscribe to an anti-VC policy it just didn't make sense on this occasion. In future if I tackle another problem I'd consider taking VC if it came from the right person and they aligned with my values. I would want to build a profitable, sustainable business as quickly as possible and wouldn't mind about giving up some ownership to do that if it made sense.
Kevin
Like Abadesi and George I'm currently bootstrapping and do everything to keep doing it. I want to build and grow a healthy company with healthy people working on a specific solution. VC often leads finding a problem for the solution not the other way around. It's like putting makeup on a wound that's still there. I personally can't stand things like hyper-growth, scale at all costs and just creating another bubble that's about to burst. A traditional business like a plumber or mechanic doesn't grow. This doesn't mean, that I'm anti-VC, some industries or products/solutions definitely need a lot of capital as quickly as possible (med-tech, ...) or when time-to-market is just too important for succeeding.