Get and Honest Review for your Landing Page (04/28)

Jack Wright
31 replies
Hey guys! I'm a product designer in NYC. Happy to review all landing pages with a fresh set of eyes, and give my honest feedback. (1) Post your link (2) Include limited to no details so I can review with fresh eyes

Replies

Bill Dinh
Hi, please check us out @ berlocks.com
Bill Dinh
@jack_wright1 Sorry for the late reply. 1. Yes, it's clear 2. Yes, I would try the product Questions: 1. So it's an app that kickstarts my day - cool. But what is it exactly? Can I get access to workout videos, can I search foods and enter it, can I write a journal post in it, can I meditate in the app? Or for now will it be the portal to all these things. Like I go to Magic and push workout and Youtube opens with Boho's videos. 2. Headspace is behind a paywall so how do you give access to that?
Jack Wright
@billfromberlocks Hey Bill, Sorry for not getting back to you sooner! Ok, first off, nice job on the design. It looks friendly and clean. It took me a moment to get the concept, but it didn't take too too long to "Get it". I would update the opening line a bit. There are really 2 core things that the user should take away immediately when they first land on your site: 1) What do you claim to do 2) How do you do it Consider Slacks landing page. Their opening line: "Slack brings the team together, wherever you are" This clearly explains their "what". Slack brings teams together. Now consider their secondary line: "With all of your communication and tools in one place, remote teams will stay productive no matter where you’re working from." This clearly explains their "how". Slack is a communication tool. "2 Friends Hit Goals Together" get's close, but it's still confusing. Reading that I kind of understand your what, but it's fuzzy. You clearly state the "how" directly below, so that's probably sufficient. I will say that the "how" section leaves me wanting a bit more though. How does it breakdown my big goal? How does it know if I'm on track or not? There's something to be said about keeping it high level, but you should still give a bit more context (imho). I like the cleaver CTA verbiage, but you might convert better with different (more common) language. I'd A/B test this if I were you, and find out what works the best. Hope this helps a bit! J
Bill Dinh
@jack_wright1 Thanks Jack! Yes, I agree the what and how isn't crystal clear. Also the 3 steps to how it works can be improved. Will fix and share but thanks for the insights!
Jack Wright
@billfromberlocks Awesome! Yeah, I think minor tweaks will get it to a really good spot. Happy to take another look if you want additional thoughts! Take care, J
Jack Wright
@billfromberlocks Hey Bill! Just pushed a new promo site (desktop only for now). Still in polish / optimize mode but I'd love your feedback. Doesn't have to be long, just trying to answer these questions: - Is it clear? - Do you want to try the product? - If not, what's the reasoning? http://magicmorning.co/ Thanks!
Jack Wright
@mizanme Hey! ---------------------------------- ADDRESS YOUR TARGET MARKET ---------------------------------- The site looks great. Also kudos on building this. This looks like a mega project! It's instantly clear what you do. So well done on the copy. I think the presentation of all the features is done well, but I does feel quite overwhelming, and may be dizzying for some (especially if they're new to creating sites). In order for this to be successful I think you'll have to address the big elephant in the room: How are you different / better than all the other no-code site builders out there? I.e. the big ones, Squarespace and Wix. I don't think being "free" is enough here. What's lacking here is emphasis. I don't think hitting the user over the head with features is the right approach. I think your best bet is to target a key demographic, and explain why your site builder is the right site builder for them. This will make you messaging far simpler and cleaner. It'll also focus your marketing, since you'll be able to define your target market with more precision. Consider "Semplice" https://www.semplice.com/ By most measures, it's an inferior tool to other site builders. But it's hyper focused on selling to creatives looking for a portfolio. And it's been pretty successful. They emphasize why they're the right product for these people. ---------------- KEEP IT SIMPLE ---------------- If you look at most successful companies they lean into their 2-4 key value props, and just keep reiterating these things over and over. For instance, consider allbirds.com (the billion dollar shoe startup) Their key value props are: - The world’s most comfortable shoes - Made with sustainable, natural materials. If you look at every touch point of the company (site / social media / ads / packaging, etc), they emphasize / re-emphasize their key value props over and over. Really good brands make it clear what they are, how they do it, and why you should care. Right now, I'm not quiet getting why I should care if there's a moderator or not. --------------------------------- DEFINE YOUR WHY, HOW, WHAT --------------------------------- I just went through a process that was really helpful for me, and might help you as well. It's based on the Simon Sinek Ted talk, where he emphasizes the importance of not only what you do, and how you do it, but also why you do it. https://www.ted.com/talks/simon_... Here's what it looked like when I ran through this exercise for my company, Magic. Our "Why" - We want to help people become their best selves - We believe that good habits have the power to unlock your best self Our "How" - We curate the best industry content (guided meditations, workouts, recipes), to make it easy to learn and practice good habits - We package all of this content into a personalized morning routine app - The app is beautiful, intuitive, and easy to use Our "What" - We make a morning routine app called Magic. ---- Hopefully after reading this, you have a clear idea of not only what we do, but why we do it. The answer to your "how", will ultimately become your value props, and the key information you'll end up communicating to your customers on your site and elsewhere. For instance, Magic's value props are: Primary - Make it easy to learn and practice good habits - Curate the best industry content (guided meditations, workouts, recipes) Secondary - Content is packaged into one app - Personalized for you - Beautiful, intuitive, and easy to use This process has made it far easier for me to understand how to communicate my product... and I'm redesigning the site based on it. I don't think you have to do a total tear down (because you have lots of good stuff going on!), but I do think it may be helpful for you to try out. Best of luck! J
Mizan :)
@jack_wright1 thank you so much for your review and feedback. probably the most detailed feedback I have received. I'm going to work on the points you have mentioned and make the target more clear. :-) Thank you again. I really appreciate your suggestions.
Jack Wright
@mizanme Hey there, Sure thing. Happy to help! You've done a tremendous job so far. Best of luck with everything moving forward. Shoot me a message if you ever need anything else. J
Jack Wright
@mizanme Hey there, Just pushed a new promo site (desktop only for now). Still in polish / optimize mode but I'd love your feedback. Doesn't have to be long, just trying to answer these questions: - Is it clear? - Do you want to try the product? - If not, what's the reasoning? http://magicmorning.co/ Thanks!
Jack Wright
@devaonbreaches Hey! These last 2 reviews have taken quite a bit of time, but I'll return tomorrow and give you my review.
Jack Wright
@devaonbreaches Hey there! Sorry for the delay on my end! Just took a look at the site. Is it me, or have you made changes over the last few days?? In any case, it's looking good! -------------------------- IDENTIFY YOUR "WHY" -------------------------- I understand what the product does. It's clear that I can enter a password, and check to see if that password has been compromised. What I'm missing is: "Why do I care about this?" If I enter my password, e.g. "amazingpassword", and see that it's been compromised 22 times, it might give me pause, but I'd just assume that it's someone else's accounts (not mine) that has compromised. Your main selling point feels disconnected from myself, so it's hard to understand why I should care. I think an alternative approach would be flip the value prop to focus on the security of ones password. It's a subtle, yet important shift. If I'm checking to see how secure *my* password is, then I suddenly become more invested in the service you're offering. You can still leverage the data that you have to explain to the user why their password is strong or weak. You could even make recommendations based on this - i.e. "This passwords been compromised 22 times. Your account may be one of the accounts that's been affected. We recommend changing your password immediately". Suddenly the conversations about me in a tangible sense, and I care. This is a crowded space though, so you'll still want to dig into a key differentiator that makes you 10x better than the competition: https://howsecureismypassword.net/ https://haveibeenpwned.com/ Just to name a couple... ----------------- SIMPLIFY COPY ----------------- The copy on your site (especially the home page) should be extremely short and concise. You'll notice that most successful product pages have extremely short statements backed by some kind of visual. That's because people don't typically read when viewing a product site, they scan. Consider the Google Pixel 3a https://store.google.com/us/prod... Big, bold statements that the user will still catch while scanning, matched with limited sub-copy. Best of luck moving forward! Hopefully this is at least somewhat helpful. Happy to take another look if you make any changes. Best, J
Devanand Premkumar
@jack_wright1 Thank you very much for the time taken to provide the feedback . Much appreciated. As you have highlighted, the focus was predominantly on the solution and not on the benefits. Thanks to you I should be able to change that. Also the copy suggestions are pretty useful. Thank you again :) Cheers, Deva
Jack Wright
@devaonbreaches Hey Devanand, Just pushed a new promo site (desktop only for now). Still in polish / optimize mode but I'd love your feedback. Doesn't have to be lonog, just trying to answer these questions: - Is it clear? - Do you want to try the product? - If not, what's the reasoning? http://magicmorning.co/ Thanks!
Mick Vermaat
I'd love to hear feedback for my first product and first launch! Product hunt prelaunch https://besttime.app I also could use some beta users!
Jack Wright
@mick_ver Hey! These last 2 reviews have taken quite a bit of time, but I'll return tomorrow and give you my review.
Jack Wright
@mick_ver Hey Mick, Thanks for sharing, and sorry for the delay on my end! --- I think that some of the other feedback I gave, applies to you, so I'm going to copy / paste a bit here and there. ---------------------------------------------- USER SHOULD "GET IT" WITHIN 10 SECONDS ---------------------------------------------- I'm not 100% sure if I'm the target demo, but I have to say, going in cold, I was a bit confused. I think a lot of it comes down to this opening statement, and a lack of visual cues. First the statement: "Forecast how busy world wide public venues will be" This is a bit of a mouthful, and kind of hard to understand. It's extremely tough to get this right, but this will ultimately become the anchor for all additional information you share on your site. If I don't immediately get what you do, how you do it, and why I should care within the first few seconds, I'll probably bounce as a user. It's nice that you have a visual of the product, but it don't help me much. Unless I really look at it closely, all I'm going to see is a bunch of graphs. ---------------- KEEP IT SIMPLE ---------------- If you look at most successful companies they lean into their 2-4 key value props, and just keep reiterating these things over and over. For instance, consider allbirds.com (the billion dollar shoe startup) Their key value props are: - The world’s most comfortable shoes - Made with sustainable, natural materials. If you look at every touch point of the company (site / social media / ads / packaging, etc), they emphasize / re-emphasize their key value props over and over. Really good brands make it clear what they are, how they do it, and why you should care. Right now, I'm not quiet getting why I should care if there's a moderator or not. ----------------- SIMPLIFY COPY ----------------- The copy on your site (especially the home page) should be extremely short and concise. You'll notice that most successful product pages have extremely short statements backed by some kind of visual. That's because people don't typically read when viewing a product site, they scan. Consider the Google Pixel 3a https://store.google.com/us/prod... Big, bold statements that the user will still catch while scanning, matched with limited sub-copy. --------------------------------- DEFINE YOUR WHY, HOW, WHAT --------------------------------- I just went through a process that was really helpful for me, and might help you as well. It's based on the Simon Sinek Ted talk, where he emphasizes the importance of not only what you do, and how you do it, but also why you do it. https://www.ted.com/talks/simon_... Here's what it looked like when I ran through this exercise for my company, Magic. Our "Why" - We want to help people become their best selves - We believe that good habits have the power to unlock your best self Our "How" - We curate the best industry content (guided meditations, workouts, recipes), and package all of this content into a personalized morning routine app - The app is beautiful, intuitive, and easy to use Our "What" - We make a morning routine app called Magic. ---- Hopefully after reading this, you have a clear idea of not only what we do, but why we do it. The answer to your "how", will ultimately become your value props, and the key information you'll end up communicating to your customers on your site and elsewhere. For instance, Magic's value props are: Primary - Make it easy to learn and practice good habits - Curate the best industry content (guided meditations, workouts, recipes) Secondary - Content is packaged into one app - Personalized for you - Beautiful, intuitive, and easy to use This process has made it far easier for me to understand how to communicate my product... and I'm redesigning the site based on it. I don't think you have to do a total tear down (because you have lots of good stuff going on!), but I do think it may be helpful for you to try out. Best of luck with everything moving forward! Happy to take another look if you make any changes. J
Mick Vermaat
@jack_wright1 Many thanks. I will try to implement your suggestions. I've read the book 'start with why' a few years ago, but I didnt do a good job implementing it. Thanks for the reminder! Good luck with your own company!!
Jack Wright
@mick_ver Thanks Bud! Hope the review didn't come across too harsh. There's loads of great stuff there! Congrats on getting to the #4 spot on PH by the way! And thanks for following. Let's keep in touch.
Jack Wright
@mick_ver Hey Mick, Just pushed a new promo site (desktop only for now). Still in polish / optimize mode but I'd love your feedback. Specifically helping to answer 2 questions: - Is it clear? - Do you want to try the product? - If not, what's the reasoning? http://magicmorning.co/ Thanks!