How do you balance work and play at the weekend?

Abadesi
32 replies
As entrepreneurs I know we feel that pressure to make the most of our time to hit our goals and achieve success. But rest is a huge part of productivity, too. How do you balance work and play at the weekend to avoid burnout? For me it's about blocking time and doing digital detoxes. I make sure I have scheduled time with friends outdoors doing fun stuff and then I can use Sundays to catch up on work... usually after a nice workout and brunch so I'm energised for the day! What's your strategy?

Replies

Jonathan Sun
Generally for myself I do a variety of different things... take screen off days, play pickup basketball, spend time with family and friends and explore the city I'm working in (either Seattle or London). There's so much to explore in the city I am living in... and it inspires me a lot!
Abadesi
@jonathan_sun1 i'm a big fan of screen off days, too, thanks for sharing!
Dan Edwards
I don't have a strategy per se, but something I've learned is that a most things can wait and I shouldn't beat myself up if I'm enjoying my personal time, especially at the weekend. Switching off is hard, I used to get anxious if I went out or away for a weekend and didn't take my laptop "just in case anything happened" but it's like anything, if you do it once and realise that the world didn't end, you'll feel more comfortable the next time. So in the words of Shia LaBeouf "just do it".
Abadesi
@de lol Shia LaBeouf - productivity influencer.
Max Shash
Thanks Abadesi, That's an actual question, because the weekend is so close 😃 Personally, I do time sharing. For example, I plan to work from 12 till 5 on Saturday. Even if feel tired and not productive I focus on different work assignments during this time and avoid FB, 9Gag, etc. And after 5pm I stop and go have some fun. Usually it works, but sometimes it's not. Working on discipline is hard for me, but the struggle continues 😃
Abadesi
@maxshash tell me about it! I think discipline is like a muscle, have to keep working it to strengthen it!
Max Shash
@abadesi it's quite simple. You just plan to work on the project from 9 till 12 including 2 short breaks for gymnastics and then you do. Try to focus on goal and do not go for FB and other time consumers. Easier said than done.
Ayshwarya
@abadesi It's harder to balance that because I work remotely and have flexible hours, which means there's always work to do. Usually,​ I make plans for Sat evenings or Sun afternoons with my friends—try something new (either we go exploring inside the city, or sometimes outside, go on a trek, go to the beach). I also use a good chunk of Sat to clean, organize my room, catch up on my hobbies, tend to my plants ... things that involve movement and zero screen time. I use Sunday nights to plan my upcoming work week. Sometimes though, gotta work on weekends. During such times, I start the day with a good energizing workout, make sure to take short breaks the moment I notice I'm not being productive (either take a walk or start cleaning things). I still feel pretty overwhelmed sometimes, but try to stick to this schedule.
Abadesi
@ayswarrya It sounds like you're really good at mixing in a bunch of personal tasks during the weekend including self care which is encouraging! Remote work is a tough one for carving out boundaries - I know myself from working remotely for Product Hunt - but it helps to always block out daily personal time even if its just a workout, like you suggested!
Ayshwarya
@abadesi Thanks! I would love to hear about your remote experience. Have you written about it somewhere?
Tai Le
With me it's pretty simple. From Monday to Friday, I spend everyday at work and overtime 2 hours each night after dinner. On Saturday and Sunday, morning till afternoon, I will try to get all the personal, family matters done. I set me free on both evening. Time for friends, hobbies and build motivation for another week :D
Abadesi
@t_le you've got great balance and structure there! Do you block out these times in your calendar?
Tai Le
@abadesi I draw a line on calendar to keep track and motivate me. It's so happy to see the line keep on longer and longer, the feeling like you plan a tree and recognize it growing day by day. Of course sometime I just couldn't keep it up, simply leave it blank that day and draw a new line again on next day xD
Abadesi
@t_le I'm going to copy you! I like how you visualize streaks!
Tai Le
@abadesi ha ha, don't forget to tell me the result!
Al
I like to save one project for the weekend, rather than multiple projects. If you try to go after your never ending to-do list on the weekend, it will feel more like another work day. By doing one project, I feel like there is a defined start and end time for the project and it makes doing work less stressful on the weekend.s
Abadesi
@alchen defined times for the start and the end is a great tactic thanks!
Blair Fast
I leave my phone at home when I am out for a walk with the dog, having dinner with my family or reading a good book - helps me avoid the temptations of being 'on'.
Abadesi
@blair_fast great tip! I leave my phone somewhere when I want to be fully present, too. Or often have it on DND/airplane mode.
Bryce Mae Teh Tajer
Time management, simply because as long as we take too much time to work there is a possibilities to become pressure that's why for me we must take advantage and think about ourselves which we can play for a while and take every single day as a worthy day, Work is work and play is play
Alex Devero
There is no balance for me. I always find a way to turn work into play. No matter what it is, make it a challenge you won to win and anything can be a game.
Alex Devero
@abadesi What tasks do you have to do?
Abadesi
@alexdevero give me an example of how I turn accounting admin into a game please! 😅
anthony ware
Great question! I actually look at my week as 7 days, no weekend. Depending on the week, I spend doing whatever I feel like doing...movie, book, groceries, time with friends, etc. I time block my availability based on what I'm working on. At the moment that means biz calls on Saturdays and Sundays. Each day, I make time for me time...an hour or 2 that's something energizing for me. At the beginning of the year, my schedule will change again.
Abadesi
@theanthonyware wow I've never considered this approach, so novel and so flexible! I like how you block out non-work events throughout the week instead of just saving them for the weekend. Clever!
Liz ❤️
Recently I started picking up hobbies that involve using both my hands. I picked up knitting. Something long term to work on and doesn’t need digital. Also just making plans!
Andrew Tye
Ugh I don't do very good at balancing...
Abadesi
@awt it's not easy that's for sure. What about blocking out time for self-care like booking a fitness class, or tickets to a show you want to see?
Andrew Tye
@abadesi that makes sense....plan it out in advance!
Katerina
I "use" my kids as accountability buddies. No work on Saturdays. No matter what. I had a couple of times where it was very difficult, but I kept to it. The best way to keep to this, is to not turn on the laptop. I often read on Saturday's or plan things to do with the kids. I do some work on Sunday afternoon.
Abadesi
@katerinabohlec Love this strategy! Like you I also avoid opening my laptop at all... and even turn off notifications on my phone just to resist that temptation to start answering stuff!
Katerina
@abadesi The only notification I have on my phone is for whatsapp and sms. Everything else is off 24/7. I moved social media icons off my home screen and I'm considering deleting email accounts. I also communicated to my boss how to reach me for emergencies. This worked perfectly on Friday when things needed to be fixed. I think if you create the expectation that you'll work during the weekend, people aroudn you start behaving like that. Setting clear boundaries and communicating them is key.