Are you working full time on your project?

Wei Chun
10 replies
How many of you are actually looking to work/working full-time on your project? Curious to know how many of you are seeing enough potential to go all-in on your project!

Replies

Sohaib Nadeem
I have had a Final Year Project in my last year. It was for a food ordering application and I must say at the start it was not at all competitive. We were looking to just get it done and just let it go. But as soon as we started looking at the possibilities of adding new features and try doing what everyone else is not, it became clearer that it can really turn into something powerful and useful. Sadly, the team I was working with did not have that enthusiasm and rightly so given certain conditions. So the full time work was cut short. Though I am still refining the project as it was my idea and product in the first place. If I do get some real stuff going on regarding it I would be willing to give it more time. It takes time for growing as a product and breaks come in at every corner. I am looking forward to get it going once I get the ideas all together. Makes it easier to go forward.
Wei Chun
@thesohaibkhan Tough to be working with/in the food industry given the rise of tech giants in the space (Foodpanda, Gojek, Deliveroo etc..) as well as the tight margins of food vendors. I assume you just graduated and are working on the product full-time for the time being? Any deadline you have given to yourself?
Sohaib Nadeem
@chew_wei_chun I could not have put it better myself. I have been looking a lot into it to find what they are doing and what is the end goal. And go in the opposite direction. So far I have created something that I can say will eventually work. Currently, I am not giving it my full time. I am at a day job (UI/UX Designer). Though I have a thought out plan of giving it at least a couple days in a week where I can start re-visiting the conditions through which the application can be clean of drawbacks and make it possible for myself to get it done as soon as possible so I can go on and implement it. Both design and development. A deadline? Calculating, I got it close to around 4 months at the earliest. But it could take me more.
Wei Chun
@thesohaibkhan Given your skillsets in UI/UX you definitely have an advantage in understanding your customer as well as perfecting your app. Let me know if you need any help with marketing and/or design. I'll be happy to help you out. Cheers and have a great day:)
Sohaib Nadeem
@chew_wei_chun Thank you so much. Yes I do think so too. :) I will make it sure to ask you about any shortcomings during the process.
Ronma Adedeji
I have turned down some good job offers to fully focus on my business and projects. Especially now i am seeing some traction. Its hard balancing life, paying bills and focusing on a dream (especially now when i split my business into two arms, best decision i have made so far but the workload.......). its all about growth, as long as there is growth financially and in scale of the projects then its enough motivation to keep you going as you move towards the greater goal. So i turned down good job offers because i do not want to be distracted from the end goal for temporary gratifications and security.
Wei Chun
@ronma I reckon you have to be really confident that your projects will pan out well financially. I have been working on projects as a side hustle but struggle to get traction because there's not much time and energy to do so at night.
Ronma Adedeji
@chew_wei_chun trust me i have been there, what happened when i was working was similar- What eventually started happening was i had a hill result at work and at the same time my business. When i gave my project 80% attention my performance at work would drastically go down and when i abandoned my projects, i would perform well at work. Even my manager at the time noticed and call me on my pattern. I am confident about my project, not to say i haven't failed, i eventually did, completely abandoned the project but after leaving my job, i took it up again and re-strategized which lead to a business entity split- one arm for generating income to keep the lights on and grow the team and also fund the project, and the other fully focused on going to market with the project. Best advice, monetize one of your skills with a business model that brings constant income, let that run in a sort of automated fashion and you will have income to pursue your dreams. My two cents, best of luck in your endeavors.
Abadesi
I've been working part time on my project since autumn 2017. It's worked better for me this way. My year working full time on it was really tough. I faced a point where I could broaden the mission and get to sustainable revenue, or stay niche but accept it would be an SMB. I went for the latter and now I have a remote team to manage most stuff so I can work on my essential tasks for the business when I have time outside of work.
Wei Chun
@abadesi Great to see someone working in Product Hunt walk the talk! You must have hit a certain stage of your business to be able to outsource the work to a remote team.