What Slack addons you use to connect better emotionally with your teammates?

Maxim Zavadskiy
7 replies

Replies

Abadesi
For me, how I connect better emotionally with my teammates comes down to frequency and tone of communication. I'd be curious to see how an addon could help with this.
Abadesi
@mjfisher I like those ideas! Being better informed of whats happening in the world where my team mates are could help me feel closer to them and give some perspectives to better understand them through.
Matt Fisher
@abadesi I think I'm the same. I do think there's probably a lot more presence information IM platforms can offer us to help with feeling connected with our remote colleagues though - things like local weather, where the sun is, local news feeds associated with people's profiles etc. Anything that can bring the feeling of a person's location through the screen a little better.
Matt Fisher
@abadesi One hack that actually works really well for that: I've tended to work with clients and colleagues quite some distance away, so I'll occasionally set up Google News alerts with their cities and hometowns as keywords. Otherwise you'd have no idea that e.g. clients in Indianapolis were suffering through some terrible blizzards, or your European colleagues are in the middle of a heatwave. It can help you empathize with people a little better. It's just as bad on a conference call as well - you get these disembodied voices floating out of a box on the table, and it can be hard to feel an emotional connection with the people on the other end. I'd be interested to see how @maxim_zavadskiy1 experiences with Tacos, and if that helps at all - it looks like a taco-based virtual currency to trade on Slack?
Maxim Zavadskiy
@abadesi @mjfisher Thanks so much for insights! I really love idea on local news and some other folks wanted the same actually. @mjfisher we have not used Tacos but were very inspired of simple ritual of appreciations that distributed companies love to use. We wanted to build something even more emotional than Taco reach by making http://focusedtalk.tech . Would be very curious to hear your feedback ! (Ptss we are launching today)
Maxim Zavadskiy
@harry_o_brien Nice idea! People need more beer time, or casual hanging out to create proper trust. Have you thought of making this as virtual-beer-drinking?