What morning ritual helps you kickstart your day?

internetjohnny
30 replies
Could be anything, like what you make for breakfast, listening to music, meditation, etc... Share what makes you feel good/focused/energized at the start of every morning!

Replies

Pizza Bot
I'll said it, as clichรฉ as it might be: coffee โ˜•
internetjohnny
@pizzachannelbot Totally! Personally, I don't take my coffee in the morning so much as "when I need it", but it is hard to find something to substitute it
Nate Astrup
Meditation, journaling, caltra.co
internetjohnny
@chiefzenofficer I find that meditation is the best solution to getting focused. I've tried actually forcing myself to go without my phone and a few other things in order to avoid distractions, but in the end simply taking a few minutes out of the beginning of the day, ironically, is what makes me get that time (and some more) back as the day progresses
Nate Astrup
@internet_johnny Have been getting in the habit of leaving it on Airplane mode from sun down, till after my morning routine is over. Also, great book I've been reading along these lines - Make Time https://maketime.blog/
Justin Lam
My favourite life hack: Wake up energized every morning by setting your alarm to go off 30 minutes early so that you can take a caffeine pill and go back to sleep. I used to HATE mornings. Now I just hate mornings :) This is basically the "have a cup a coffee before your power nap and wake up refreshed" idea except applied to the morning.
Nate Astrup
@justinonthelam I chug a huge glass of water right before bed - The urge to not piss the bed is strong!
David Edet
cool music ans sometimes chating with friends on the social media usuall makes my day special
Shane Neubauer
Get good sleep ๐Ÿ˜ด, hydrate well, do some short exercise ๐Ÿƒ๐Ÿฝโ€โ™‚๏ธ have healthy breakfast ๐Ÿฅ‘, and only then drink coffee โ˜•๏ธ. In that order! ๐Ÿš€ Actually I totally revamped my morning ritual after reading the book 'Own the day, own your life', and that is mine.
Alex Devero
Wake up at 4:30, do a calisthenics workout, do 30-minute meditation, take cold shower, have a HUGE breakfast (omad :)). Repeat 7 days a week.
Danny Denhard
As a morning person I look forward to the walk, putting on a new podcast and getting myself set for the day ahead. I have my breakfast, a coffee and plan out the day ahead and prioritise. All about the prep and planning
Raghav Arora
What I have observed is that Its actually getting into the schedule (not just a morning routine). Here's the schedule I try to follow - Wake up between 4-5 am. No Alarms. - Respond to emails, messages, etc. and list down important tasks I need to finish. Usually it's a mental note, but I've found that I get more down when I write them down. Tech Twitter is very active around that time as its the evening in Silicon Valley so I spend some time on twitter too. - Then I take my puppy for a morning walk and listen to a good podcast while I'm at it - Fresh air and Motivation - A quick shower followed by breakfast. - I start work latest by 8 am and work till around 6-7 pm with a small lunch break in between. I'm able to stick to it around 70% of the time.
internetjohnny
@raghav_arora you're not the only one referrencing waking up early. It intrigues me a lot, and I think I might give it a shot. Why do you think it helps though? And how early do you go to bed in order to wake up a that hour without the help of an alarm?
Raghav Arora
@internet_johnny My experience is that its difficult to work after 7pm - you feel like going out for dinner, hanging out with friends, watching a movie with your family or even just passing time on youtube / twitter. So regardless of when you start, you would be tempted to stop by 7pm. You could continue working at night, but the fact is that our mind isn't as functional in the night than it is in the morning. About the alarm - First, it's much more easier to wake up before sunrise than it is afterwards. Second, since my day starts very early in the morning, I don't mind oversleeping. If I need more rest, so be it. If you think about it, I can overshoot by 4 hours and still won't be late for any morning appointments. No risks there. I start to feel sleepy around 8 and in bed by 9. An added benefit is that I'm too tired in the evening so I don't go out unless I really really really want to.
Paroma Indilo
telegram+slack+email+coffee+granola
Christine Zhu
I make a latte and a thick smoothie bowl for breakfast - which is like meditation for me. Then I enjoy them over my fav newsletters and bookmarks and lo-fi playlist. It's so blissful :)
Pankaj Singh
A cup of tea and music :)
Coen Brasser
Wake up at 0600, water, vitamins, coffee, yogurt with berries and nuts and some music. Nowadays I ditched the bike commuted and walk to my office (30 min). Then off to the gym with a nice audiobook. I don't read any messages before sitting down at my desk at 0900. For me, that has been the biggest destresser, the human mind is not made to read a request for our time, and then shelve it. If you read it, it's active.
YiฤŸit PฤฑnarbaลŸฤฑ
I'm a simple man. I wake up and say "oh ok, let's go... 1-2-3!" to myself and jump out of the bed.
internetjohnny
@yigitpinarbasi I dont know why but this reply cracked me up. Not to say I dont empathise with it, because I totally do! Sometimes it feels like there's two of me ๐Ÿ‘ผ๐Ÿ˜ˆ and you really need a strategy like this to make one of them "win"
Nahua Kang
Morning person: 30-min lower back exercises every day, followed by either weightlifting in the gym or some rowing. Feel like superman before stepping into the office!
Vidur Satija
Drinking lots of water, going to the washroom, meditating, having a heavy breakfast and listening to a podcast
Ashley H.
* ๐Ÿ’ง Drink one glass of water * ๐Ÿšฟ Take cold shower * ๐Ÿง˜๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ Meditate * ๐Ÿ› Make my bed * ๐Ÿ”ฎ Draw a tarot card * ๐Ÿ“ฌ Check email & Feedly * ๐Ÿ’€ Read an obituary * ๐ŸŽต Play my morning playlist * ๐Ÿ“ Review my daily priority * ๐Ÿ’ผ Walk to work
Jay Dee
Coffee (2 cups) and laptop in bed for at least an hour.
Kevin Nguyen
The first thing I do when I wake up is to grab one or two cup.s of water. Then, I try to not consume my smartphone notifications. Best practice is to start journaling: write about my thoughts, reflecting my emotions, planing the day. I use Gekri to do so.