How do you know what book to read next? Do you have a reading list?

Fast Tracked Learning
28 replies

Replies

Roman Bullitt
I follow opinion leaders Iā€™m interested in
Fast Tracked Learning
@roman_bullitt I take the same approach, i like to read multiple books by the same author to understand their perspective.
Mitch Gillogly
I always just buy my books in bulk and go through those. Sometimes I look at favorite books of successful people and sometimes things just catch my eye on Amazon.
Fast Tracked Learning
@mitchgillogly @abadesi That's how i ususally do it but I am trying to really narrow down my list and have a targeted approach. With so much content out there you could read all day everyday and have to make sure you are looking at the right stuff. Thanks for your feedback :)
Wei Chun
Got my book recommendations from listening to podcast. I always check out reviews on Amazon before borrowing (from the public library) or buying one. No list for me!
Wei Chun
@abadesi Libraries are so underappreciated in this era. I loved the feel of flipping through pages hence Kindle is not my kind of thing. With that said, the world could definitely use less books. Can't fathom the sheer number of new, unread books sitting in bookstores!
Fast Tracked Learning
@abadesi @chew_wei_chun If someone could put me in a library that was sorted by most value to me that would be cool. Otherwise i get overwhelmed haha
Abadesi
@chew_wei_chun I really must use my library more!
Elijah D7r
Yup I keep a reading list and a wishlist. When the reading list gets thin I check my wish list. The wish list is way too loooong though, lol
Fast Tracked Learning
@elijah_dippenaar Do you have a method of priortisising? or do you just smash through one after the other?
Elijah D7r
@rob_hicks prioritisation, not really. I normally just follow my gut. So yeah smash through a certain subject or author until I feel satiated, and I then move onto the next subject/author.
Tom F šŸš€
I read Medium articles, and they often mention or quote books. As I just started to read about marketing and building a strategy, I heard of Hooked by Nir Eyal.
Fast Tracked Learning
@tomflitterman thanks mate, that one is a good one. I am trying to build a list of the 50 best books for people in shoes similar to you,
Alex Devero
Usually in four ways, in this order: 1) Listening to podcasts (or watching video conversations on Youtube). 2) Following recommendations from experts on the topic. 3) Amazon best selling books list on specific topic, with high number of reviews. 4) Browsing Reddit, Quora and other places where you can accidentally find interesting tips.
Fast Tracked Learning
@alexdevero Thats Alex, such good advice, I like podcasts & audiobooks. Big fan of experts recommendations on the topics that I am interested in. Do you keep a list though?
Alex Devero
@rob_hicks I do. I keep two lists. 1) On my computer, I have a "reading list" folder where I have shortcuts (*.lnk files) to all books (epub or pdf) I want to read next. 2) I also have a to-read list on goodreads. Btw, if you are on Goodreads, let's connect: https://www.goodreads.com/user/s...
internetjohnny
Whenever someone recommends me a new book, or I hear about something that might interest me, I just add it to Goodreads and when I'm finished with whatever I'm currently reading, I'll check my "want to read" list to select the next one
Fast Tracked Learning
@internet_johnny Thanks man...You happy with that system? works for you?
internetjohnny
@rob_hicks yeah, for me its the best way to keep organized when it comes to books. Definitely better than keeping it in a list inside a todo app. Thats where a lot of books go to die šŸ“˜šŸ’€
Rahul
I usually read a book only when I want to learn something and that helps me to pick a book.
Fast Tracked Learning
@rahulmfg Thanks Rahul, you dont have a backlog of reading list items?
Abadesi
Great question! I'm a book hoarder and love reading so I often bulk download to Kindle, or Audible, or add things to my basket on Amazon. Usually I'll find a list of top books for X, or get really into an author, or get recommendations for friends. I don't have a set list that lives anywhere though.
Fast Tracked Learning
@abadesi Im the same, Except mine are audible.... Would you use a list if it was available?
Brandon Clark
Whatever I need to learn for my business. For example - growth hacking (marketing with a low budget)
Fast Tracked Learning
@brandon_clark1 a gold nugget for start ups there :)