Name one quality you think is essential in a team mate.

Abadesi
46 replies
It's so hard to pick one! But I will go for empathy.

Replies

Ryan Hoover
Choosing just one is hard and it really depends on what role they fill. But a critical trait for anyone I work with: high ethical standards. Naval articulates why this is so important in this 3 minute podcast.
Abadesi
@rrhoover Good one - certainly lots of tech companies have fallen victim to scandals for undervaluing this!
Lanre Akinyemi
Hmm tough one - empathy is my fave but if I had to choose another I'd have to say clear, honest communication.
Abadesi
@lanre_akinyemi essential! Yet hard to do it would seem.
Lanre Akinyemi
@abadesi So very hard, particularly because It's hard to not take professional feedback personally
Ahmed Men
I would counterintuitively say : Lazy. As the good old Bill Gates says, “I will always choose a lazy person to do a difficult job, because he will find an easy way to do it.”
Danielle Rodriguez
Honest communication when issues/blockers arise.
Dan Edwards
I’d have to agree on Empathy, makes you a better team mate and a better designer 😊
Dario
Shared sense of humour
Andreas Möller
Alive - they are alive.
Gavan Gibson
A big one for me is honoring your commitments!
Alex Devero
Open-mindedness. Without this quality, one can't accept feedback, learn and improve.
Shannon Maloney
Empathy is such a good one! Work ethic is a quality I value hugely in my teammates. Being surrounded by people working hard always encourages me to do more of my best work. Great question!
Abadesi
@shannon_maloney ah yes I agree - good work ethic means so much! You really feel like a team when its there, rallying together.
Matt Boudreaux
Encouraging - I think the ability to give a team mate support and confidence is extremely important
Paroma Indilo
Attitude, 100%. I have much more time for someone who junior but is open, honset, willing to learn and hardworking than someone who is a great coder but has terrible attitude.
Keith Barney
A desire to learn new things
ElFitz
Dependability, or reliability, however you call it
Johan Bavaud
Integrity. Based on this quote of Warren Buffet: "Somebody once said that in looking for people to hire, you look for three qualities: integrity, intelligence, and energy. And if you don't have the first, the other two will kill you."
Karthikeyan Partheeban
Valuing Morals standards and capable of feeling empathy comes first.
Earnest Tao
I think it's common goal, because people can't come together when they have different motives
Prasanna Jeyasankar
Empathy. Empathy towards their clients / users. Empathy towards their colleagues. Empathy towards their employers too. Empathy for themselves.