Name one quality you think is essential in a team mate.

Abadesi
46 replies
It's so hard to pick one! But I will go for empathy.

Replies

Lanre Akinyemi
Hmm tough one - empathy is my fave but if I had to choose another I'd have to say clear, honest communication.
Abadesi
@lanre_akinyemi essential! Yet hard to do it would seem.
Lanre Akinyemi
@abadesi So very hard, particularly because It's hard to not take professional feedback personally
Ryan Hoover
Choosing just one is hard and it really depends on what role they fill. But a critical trait for anyone I work with: high ethical standards. Naval articulates why this is so important in this 3 minute podcast.
Abadesi
@rrhoover Good one - certainly lots of tech companies have fallen victim to scandals for undervaluing this!
Ahmed Men
I would counterintuitively say : Lazy. As the good old Bill Gates says, “I will always choose a lazy person to do a difficult job, because he will find an easy way to do it.”
Danielle Rodriguez
Honest communication when issues/blockers arise.
Dan Edwards
I’d have to agree on Empathy, makes you a better team mate and a better designer 😊
Dario
Shared sense of humour
Andreas Möller
Alive - they are alive.
Gavan Gibson
A big one for me is honoring your commitments!
Alex Devero
Open-mindedness. Without this quality, one can't accept feedback, learn and improve.
Shannon Maloney
Empathy is such a good one! Work ethic is a quality I value hugely in my teammates. Being surrounded by people working hard always encourages me to do more of my best work. Great question!
Abadesi
@shannon_maloney ah yes I agree - good work ethic means so much! You really feel like a team when its there, rallying together.
Matt Boudreaux
Encouraging - I think the ability to give a team mate support and confidence is extremely important
Paroma Indilo
Attitude, 100%. I have much more time for someone who junior but is open, honset, willing to learn and hardworking than someone who is a great coder but has terrible attitude.
Keith Barney
A desire to learn new things
ElFitz
Dependability, or reliability, however you call it
Johan Bavaud
Integrity. Based on this quote of Warren Buffet: "Somebody once said that in looking for people to hire, you look for three qualities: integrity, intelligence, and energy. And if you don't have the first, the other two will kill you."
Karthikeyan Partheeban
Valuing Morals standards and capable of feeling empathy comes first.
Earnest Tao
I think it's common goal, because people can't come together when they have different motives
Prasanna Jeyasankar
Empathy. Empathy towards their clients / users. Empathy towards their colleagues. Empathy towards their employers too. Empathy for themselves.