Do I need a hunter to launch on Product Hunt?

Peyton Goen
5 replies
In light of questions I've had, and comments I have seen recently, I would love to know everyone's thoughts on this. If possible, I think it would be great to hear from people who launch on PH hunting their own product and others who found a hunter with an established audience/lots of followers. Pros? Cons?

Replies

Peyton Goen
@abadesi I know you have some good (and well-informed) thoughts!
Abadesi
@peyton Great poll Peyton thanks for asking. I like to think of the answer to this question working backwards, not putting myself in the mind of a hunter or maker but rather just anyone who is active in the community. I follow people on Product Hunt whose work interests me - maybe they build iOS apps, DTC stuff, femtech... any of the many many things I am interested in. There are tons of products that are super interesting but I will never get around to using because they are not relevant to me e.g. software developer tools. Often makers ask me to hunt their products solely because I have more followers than them. But it could be a product that is not relevant to either me or my target audience. Even if I hunt it, that doesn't mean my followers are going to check it out, play around with it, review it. Hope that's helpful.
Peyton Goen
@abadesi Thanks! It definitely makes sense to pay attention to more than just a follower count and actually look into how relevant a product is to the hunter and their followers
Abadesi
@peyton exactly. And @csallen gave me this advice on a podcast recording we'll publish soon -- start building your audience of customers really early. Don't wait until the week before launch to start scrambling for a target audience. That will be an impossible task.
Peyton Goen
@csallen @abadesi Solid advice! You've got me excited for the podcast. I love listening to both PH's and IH's podasts- this is going to be a good one I'm sure!