What teams are more efficient for startups: remote or in-office?

Artem Galenko
14 replies

Replies

Abadesi
I could be bias here but I really feel remote teams are the future, it means you can hire talent anywhere plus it really forces you and your team to be great at communicating and to be very goal and results oriented.
Artem Galenko
@abadesi what about team spirit and team building? How do you think are they relevant nowadays ?
Abadesi
@unrealartemg they are extremely relevant - the closer you are to your team the better you can communicate with each other. The good and the bad! However its possible to build these remotely through shared activities and a few IRL events during the year.
Mitch Gillogly
@unrealartemg @abadesi A lot of my teams work is done by themselves or communicating over slack. But I still think there's a disconnect working remotely. We have a founders dinner once a week and a weekly group work session for a couple hours. I don't think we'd be as close to each other without in person meetups.
Julie Chabin
@unrealartemg @abadesi @mitchgillogly Jumping on this conversation to note that I never felt closer to teammates than since I'm working remotely. We check on each other, enjoy our (limited) time together IRL. It's truly a different experience but it can build strong relationships.
Artem Galenko
@abadesi @mitchgillogly @syswarren Interesting point of view! But I think that it doesn't work for everyone
Eugene Lorenc
I think remote teams are mostly more efficient because of flexibility of their schedule and not disturbing each other with office gossips and fridge battles for unlabeled yogurt.
Niko Wallner
Difficult question. I believe a balance is the best option
Kyle222
I think both systems work, depending on the demand and workload. I have my team work remotely 3/5 days. They only come into the office for mergers or when we're troubleshooting a larger problem. We find discussing it in person and brainstorming larger issues, saves time and miscommunication. Giving them the flexibility and freedom, helps them feel empowered to run their schedule and avoid helicopter management. They also save money and time coming into the office and sitting in traffic on the way home which improves moral.
Amanda Trincher
For many tasks, the office can be a better working environment, especially for a team. But it depends on many things, from your workflow to the office itself and its structure. Nowadays, many startups have excellent technological and smart office spaces that can provide good work for the team. I even read in the article https://hushoffice.com/en-us/pri... about office pods, which can provide a good environment for conversations