How often do you track team performance?

Luu Dao
10 replies
Hey fellow Makers! For small / medium team, do you track your team performance everyday? Or you just do a review session for team performance every week? Is it good to have an automatically daily report about team performance? Thanks :D

Replies

Luu Dao
Based on my experience, I'm working in a startup, so I need my team to move fast. That's why I always want to see the progress in all our main objectives. :D
Chris Nash
@luudao What do you mean by performance? If you're talking about actual work, like tickets and issues, we dont track that per-say, we have standups everyday and swarm blockers as a team. We have retros at the end of each sprint of work, and that gives us time to talk about what went well or poorly. If you're talking about individual human performance, thats a small weekly catchup, and a quarterly longer meeting.
Luu Dao
@chris_roach yeah tickets & issues is more accurate :D thanks for your help! But don't you think that standups everyday is actually a way of daily tracking? :D since most of the time people will talk about what they've finished, what they haven't, any problems... And if we can detect any issues at a daily basis by looking at what the team have done yesterday, our decision could be better, right?
Chris Nash
@luudao Yeah I think it is tracking in a way. But we're super careful of not calling it tracking if you know what I mean? for example: We don't say, "Hey Joe, you are meant to finish 3 tickets this week, you need to work harder" We're much more like, "Who is blocked, who needs help." And the team comes together around each other to help them complete work. Someone finished their work early and helps someone else. We dont care if something doesnt get done on time. If it didnt get done on time, we made a mistake in estimating the complexity of it. So next time, we make the work smaller.
Luu Dao
@chris_roach yeah that's the perfect approach I think, we should know "what/who is blocked, who needs help" instead of blaming someone or micro-managing. And I'm totally agree about "the mistake in estimating the complexity of task". Me & myteam also devoted to working with smaller tasks. We'll break them down rather than leave them big :D. Awesome ideas!!
Astha Sharma
@luudao My company and I track it once a week! Our set day is Thursdays to see how much revenue/users occured for that week. Then we see where we went wrong and what worked out, and set a higher goal for the following week. I feel like daily can get a little discouraging if the results are a little slow that day.
Luu Dao
@astha_sharma ah I see, you track your business goals/performance once a week :). How about your team? What have they done? Did they work well / smoothly? Any issues?
Johan Bavaud
@luudao Hi Luu, Once a week (monday) we review all together 5 KPIs. It takes 30 minutes max and we are doing during the week only small adjustments. Once a month we review all together 15 KPIs. It's where we decide marketing campaigns, product changes, UX improvement, ... And once a quarter we review all together 30 KPIs - We talk only about strategy for Q+1, Q+2, Q+3 ... Hope it can help you 😊
Luu Dao
@johan_bavaud thanks for your answer. Is there any tools for you to align your team to all your KPIs?
Johan Bavaud
@luudao with pleasure :) No tool, just an excel sheet and a basic use of PowerBi. If you have any recommendations, feel free to share 🤗