What are your non-tech hobbies?

Jen ✏️
94 replies
I love reading and crafting (you name it, I've probably done a project on it). What do you like to do to relax and unwind?

Replies

Khayam Khan
@mellowbeing Playing basketball, snooker & pool, photography, reading.
Khayam Khan
@mellowbeing I’m actually re-reading ‘Hooked’. Are you reading anything?
Jen ✏️
@khayamonline what're you currently reading?
Jen ✏️
@khayamonline I keep meaning to read that one! I guess it's good enough to reread? I'm currently reading "Less" which is ok and up next is a Rainbow Rowell book. I've been doing some light summer reading after "Lies My Teacher Told Me" and "Becoming" prior to these. haha
Dan Edwards
@mellowbeing Surfing, Dog Walking (is that a hobby?), Gaming, Football.
Jen ✏️
@de dog walking can be since it's a form of exercise, maybe? :)
Dan Edwards
@mellowbeing I'm saying yes haha
Louis Grenard
@mellowbeing fitness, thinking/sharing new ideas, twisting Rubik's cubes.
Metin Emenullahi
@mellowbeing mountain biking, running, bouldering, playing guitar, music production. BTW, I'm actively looking for people to talk about music and music production. Ping me if you're interested ;)
John Salzarulo
@mellowbeing Coffee, biking, jogging, photography.
Seth Kerr
@mellowbeing maintaining 15-20 potted tropical and subtropical plants and fruit trees.
Sarah Loertscher
@mellowbeing @thesethkerr what kind of plants are you growing? Are they indoor? :)
Seth Kerr
@mellowbeing @sarahloertscher they are seasonally outdoor/indoor plants. I grow coffee, bananas, avocados, blood oranges, peaches, nectarines, grapes, and some flowers too 😄
Sarah Loertscher
@thesethkerr So cool! I'm in upstate NY where we have hot summers but really cold, low light winters - I haven't figured out what fruit trees to try that might be okay with both. 🍋
Seth Kerr
@sarahloertscher fruit trees are a challenge but there are some that are more resilient than others. Potted fruit trees is also a huge hurdle especially during winter. I suggest looking for dwarf or columnar trees. Gurneys.com has some. You can email me (thesethkerr at gmail) if you have other Qs 👍🏻
Jen ✏️
@thesethkerr where are you located that you can grow so many awesome things?!
Brittany Berger
@mellowbeing Crafting, reading, board games, and dancing!
Brittany Berger
@mellowbeing @sarahloertscher With dance, I've done most genres but these days I'm doing a lot of hip hop and musical theater jazz! Crafting - I love knitting and hand lettering and have been wanting to try a pottery class.
Sarah Loertscher
@mellowbeing @thatbberg Cool! I love ceramics. Never done any hand lettering but I feel like I would love it
Jen ✏️
@sarahloertscher @thatbberg nice! do you post your projects on IG? I'm @crafticland - I love knitting and have dabbled with lettering. I really want to try pottery at some point!
akshay khale
@mellowbeing Reading, Running and food...
Jen ✏️
@akshay_khale what're you currently reading?
Dario
@mellowbeing rock climbing and yoga.
Sourav Ray
@mellowbeing Creating card/board games to play with friends and family.
Jen ✏️
@souravray that sounds fun! what kind of games have you made?
Sarah Loertscher
@souravray do you make up your own games and rules?
Sourav Ray
@mellowbeing My games are mostly focused helping my kid to learn new concepts or do memory exercise.
Hanna Barzakouskaya
@mellowbeing oil painting and playing the piano
Abadesi
@mellowbeing @anna_panchenko Playing piano sounds great. What kind of piano / keyboard do you have?
Metin Emenullahi
@mellowbeing @anna_panchenko Hey kudos on both of those :) What kind of music do you play?
Hanna Barzakouskaya
@mellowbeing @0xmtn classic and I love to play different soundtracks. Amazing thigh from matrix, interstellar, 28 weeks late. Do you play any musical instrument?
Hanna Barzakouskaya
@mellowbeing @abadesi old acoustic piano, I tried a lot of electrics if the sound is great the price will be too great as well :-)
Metin Emenullahi
@mellowbeing @anna_panchenko Cool :) I play guitar a little. I'm more into music production though.
Vicente Reyes
@mellowbeing I play CS:Go. I've also been wanting to go back to training BJJ.
Jay Robah
@mellowbeing Cycling, hiking. One day I will start Photography too
Francisco Quijada
@mellowbeing Fitness, running, swimming, read and drawing
Sarah Loertscher
@mellowbeing @marcaime sounds cool - what do you do with them? are you learning how they work? watchmaking is a super cool trade
Marc Montagne
@mellowbeing @sarahloertscher I collect them, learn about them, discuss them with friends and even build products around watches (Toolwatch on ProductHunt!)
Sarah Loertscher
@marcaime rad! mechanical watches are fascinating. I'm a jeweler by trade and watchmaking is a closely-linked branch off of that tradition. I've never done anything with watches besides change a battery but just watching them work is mesmerizing.
Nikolay Bilev
@mellowbeing freestyle skiing and rollerblading
Abadesi
@mellowbeing Love this question! This year I've really gotten into Yin Yoga, its a very slow, deep restorative practice that leaves me feeling so zen. I also like painting and exploring the outdoors.
Sarah Loertscher
@mellowbeing @abadesi I really have liked Yin when I've done it - just taken a few classes. What kind of painting?
Abadesi
@mellowbeing @sarahloertscher usually watercolors but also acrylic and I recently picked up some oils I can't wait to play with.
Sarah Loertscher
@abadesi very cool! I love watercolors. Have you ever sprinkled salt on drying watercolors? It may be a super basic trick everyone knows, but the drying salt leaves crystalline patterns in the paint, and depending on the dryness when you add the salt it can leave really billowy crystal patterns (more wet) or really pinpointed crystal patterns (more dry). ✨
Jen ✏️
@sarahloertscher @abadesi thanks so much! I thought it'd be a fun question to get to know people a bit better. :) I just learned you can create sugar water (boiling sugar in water) and that also affects your watercolors.
Abadesi
@sarahloertscher yes i love playing around with different materials! I'll try this next time 😊
Ryan Hoover
@mellowbeing love live music. It's an escape from everyday life for me.
Ryan Hoover
@mellowbeing @sarahloertscher I like many genres but particularly into electronic (which I know is very broad). More specifically, love music from Petit Biscuit, Rufus Du Sol, JackLNDN, Satin Jackets, most Anjunadeep artists, Lane 8, George Fitzgerald, 16BL, etc.
Abadesi
@mellowbeing @sarahloertscher @rrhoover Aw my friends are signed to Anjunadeep! Check them out - Fluida 😎
Emily Kellert
@mellowbeing running, reading, organizing, football
Abadesi
@mellowbeing @emily_kellert I love reading, too. Such an easy way to escape/travel/go on an adventure.