Is a personal coffee important for you?

Sophie He
17 replies
Hi Makers! Currently working on a portable coffee brewer(not only for espresso, it can also froth milk, using your own ground coffee or Dolce Gusto capsules with over 36 flavors). On one hand, I see so many kinds of portable espresso brewers. I know how much they want it. On the other hand, if you are not an espresso lover, do you really want your personal coffee even in office or on a picnic, etc.? I conclude some paint points for coffee lovers, do you agree with them and what's yours if it's not here? 1. Always need to google "coffee shop near me" to find a coffee 2. My coffee travel mug sucks, I want fresh coffee 3. Office/hotel coffee sucks 4. Instant/pour over coffee sucks 5. Coffee capsules are expensive 6. I really want my own specialty coffee anywhere Conclusion here: I want my personal fresh coffee anywhere. What do you think? I'd really appreciate your help! PS: If you are interested, take a look at the portable brewer at this ship page: https://www.producthunt.com/upco...

Replies

Luan Muniz
@sophiastu4131 I agree with every point you made! I also drink coffee every morning, and I'm very picky about it. I drink high-quality blends (The kind you don't find in the supermarket) and I grind and brew my coffee every morning. So 3 points for me personally: - I grind my coffee at the moment I brew - I usually do drip coffee (Using a Hario V60 like filter) - I'm not an espresso lover hahaha It would be great to have some kind of portable compressor so I can grind the coffee, compress into the capsules and put in your machine. Some kind of steel reusable capsule with the same kind of features as this filter: https://www.amazon.com/Pour-Over... So my flow would be: - Grind my coffee beans (With a portable grinder) - Compress into the capsules - Put the capsules in the machine - Brew - Clean the capsules for the next use - Repeat I know I'm not the usual mass-market example and I'm not sure how I can help, but I tried my best to describe something I would love to have :)
Sophie He
@luanmuniz Thank you for all these details. Very clear. To answer your questions: 1. Reusable capsule already worked out together with the brewer. 2. Portable grinder is a new idea for us, I believe we will look for it after launching the brewer. However, I do find portable grinders on the market already! BTW, what kind of blend do you mean? And I am sure there are lots of people like you:) If you are interest, feel free to subscribe to my upcoming product's ship page :) I am receiving a new sample this week, and will keep updating things!
Luan Muniz
@sophiastu4131 I'm happy that I was clear. I was thinking in the line that you put together the compressor, not the grinder. There are a bunch of grinders out there for sure! I have a few haha About the blends, I'm from Brazil and a friend goes around the country visiting the coffee producers and selling their special beans/blends. So every month I have some different farm from a different place in the country for my coffee. It's super cool! haha i've already subscribed hours ago! Hoping to hear from it soon :D
Sophie He
@luanmuniz ah, finally I see what you mean. I asked about the compressor the week before when I see the reusable capsule, when our engineer put ground coffee to it, without compressing. He says, considering it's designed for portable, he does not want people to take one more compressor, to much to carry and wash. And the capsule is big enough for necessary ground coffee, even without it, it's well settled. Hope to share some videos next week :) Please also feel free to let me know some other details you really care and worries about this thing, every of your ideas is very much appreciated!
Ashish Kumar
@sophiastu4131 Interesting Idea. Imagine taking it to the office and setting up on the desk and can have awesome coffee.
Ryan Hoover
Interesting space! I drink coffee in the morning every day. I'm also a bit picky. A portable coffee maker/brewer that makes it how I like is attractive to me (although I don't travel a ton). The hardest part is delivering a quality product on the go. I like including a little bit of cream and stevia, which makes transportation more challenging.
Sophie He
@rrhoover Hi Ryan, thank you for dropping by:) 1. Glad to know that you also like to make it to how you like. 2. On the go coffee, cream and stevia Packets maybe a nice choice. I think this is also why our product team design it to work with Dolce Gusto capsules, they have over 40 flavors, even includes Starbucks now. Get 1 coffee capsule and 1 milk capsule, you can have a cappuccino on the go:) I saw your concerns of hot water for minipresso, do you have any idea about getting hot water if you are not in office, or not going camping with a camp stove?
Terrance Kwok
@sophiastu4131 I grind and brew 30g of coffee every morning and bring it with me to the co-working space. I wish I could bring my v60 setup everywhere but feel kind of silly hand grinding at the office. Also, lugging around a goose neck kettle would be pretty cumbersome. I agree with a lot of those pain points. Usually the first thing I do when I land in a new city is look up coffee shop recommendations on /r/coffee.
Sophie He
@terrancekwok "lugging around"... I see what you mean :) Another nice way be my grind your coffee bean at home take it to work, and brew it with a portable brewer. You can also have a look at the one I am working on at https://www.producthunt.com/upco... Please feel free to let me know what you think too!
Terrance Kwok
@sophiastu4131 Just subscribed for updates! Is this similar to the Nanopresso?
Sophie He
@terrancekwok Thank you for subscribing! You are my 1st subscriber here. lol Yes, it's portable too. But different from it in some ways: Pros: 1. The one we are working is not manual, but can use power supply from a normal adapter, car charger to boil water and brew coffee, or use 7A batter to brew coffee with hot water. 2. It has stable performance with a pump we worked on for over 3 years. That being said, the coffee it brewed has rich flavor, with thick crema, taste like those from big machine now. But this manual one, I think it's more friendly with big hands who has enough and stable power to brew, not for me (small hands) :) 3. There not 7-8 small pieces to clean up. If I use capsules, I just need to clean the only coffee cup, if I use my ground coffee, I just wash the reusable coffee filter and the coffee up. It's a breeze. 4. It can FROTH milk too! Cons: 1. You still need to find hot water if you are not in office or hotel. 2. It's a little bigger and heavier than Nanopresso. Based on these pros and cons, do you think you would love to take it with you somewhere?
Sophie He
@astha_sharma Thank you! Still keep testing our final sample for a stable performance. Really look forward to launching it. Please feel free to sub to my upcoming project page :)
Abdullah Al Mallak
Interesting idea, I hope the price won't be a barrier here as it was for similar products. I subscribed and looking forward for it's launch. all the best of luck bringing to life @sophiastu4131
Sophie He
@abdullah_mallak Really appreciate! We hope to get a limited early bird price on Kickstarter at $59-$79, still do not have the final cost yet. But most likely will be, and hope to launch it this September :)
Alex Roy
wow, its really awesome idea to take personal coffeeand enjoy ii really like your post and suggestion.