What books did you read last month (February 2020)?

Alisa Smelkova
52 replies
Our previous conversation went very well. I put around 10 books in my reading list, thank you all. Now I have to find time to read these all 🚀. So, new month, new books, lets share!

Replies

Nishanth Samala
- How to Build a Car by Adrian Newey - Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck - Speed Secrets by Ross Bentley
Pavel Shkliaev
- Roadside Picnic - Hard to Be a God - Nineteen Eighty-Four - Inhabited Island
Alisa Smelkova
@pavel_shkliaev Wow, great number of classic literature. I haven't read 1984. What's your opinion about it? Did you read "We" by Zamyatin?
Pavel Shkliaev
@alisa_smelkova I didn’t read Zamyatin. By the way, I’m just thinking about reading it. I have been looking at "We" for a long time
Marvin Danig
@pavel_shkliaev @alisa_smelkova We by Eugene Zamyatin is such an amazing book! Way better than 1984. I read it only last month and felt why did I not hear about it earlier: https://bubblin.io/cover/we-by-e...
Gabrielė Jusaitytė
Another hit from @bhorowitz - "What you Do is Who you Are" and "The Messy Middle" by @scottbelsky 💯
Gabrielė Jusaitytė
@alisa_smelkova indeed (or at least their profiles are 😅) "The Messy Middle" was even launched on PH https://www.producthunt.com/post...
Muradul Islam
Introducing Wittgenstein A Graphic Guide by John Heaton, Judy Groves
Deep Dave
- The Great Mental Models: General Thinking Concepts by Shane Parrish - Permanent Record by Edward Snowden
Alex Devero
@deephdave Try Super Thinking: The Big Book of Mental Models by Gabriel Weinberg. I found this to be much better than The Great Mental Models.
Alex Devero
- Overcome: Crush Adversity with the Leadership Techniques of America's Toughest Warriors - Everything is F*cked: A Book About Hope - The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life - Mindfulness in Plain English
Ivaylo Durmonski
@alexdevero Great pick! Which one did you like best, Everything is F*cked or The Subtle Art? I personally still can't decide :D
Alex Devero
@ivaylo_durmonski Don't know yet. I finished the The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck in January, right before starting Everything is F*cked. However, I am still laughing hard :-D.
Hassan Hussain
Sam Walton - Made in America
Steve Snygin
@hassan_hussain it's on my list. What's your main takeaway?
Hassan Hussain
@4th_roommate Never stop experimenting with new concepts. Some will work, most won't and study your competition thoroughly.
Ivaylo Durmonski
Hey folks, Here are my reads for February: - Built to Last by James Collins and Jerry Porras - The Innovator’s Dilemma by Clayton M. Christensen - How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big by Scott Adams -The Little Book of Stoicism by Jonas Salzgeber - The Manual by Epictetus I also wrote summaries for all of them - if you're interested.
TL Robinson
I read two books: 1. Chanel Miller's memoir Know My Name per my own experience as a survivor and the nature of my app 2. Minda Hart's book The Memo per my own experiences in corporate america and my effort to ensure equity for all women in my company (and anyplace where I have a seat at the table)
Kathryn Price
-Sex on the Moon -Take the Stairs -started reading The Mastermind -started reading Influence
Laura Vasquez
Just finished reading Iron Gold - book #4 in the Red Rising series by Pierce Brown. I started it in February and just had time to finish it this week
Michael Crosby
I started the wheel of time series, been great so far.
Jen ✏️
- The Secret Lives of Colors - Leapfrog: The new revolution for women entrepreneurs I recommend both :)
Masharty Tembo
February Reads: 1. The Ride of a Lifetime - Robert Iger (Definitely a must read) 2. The Great Mental Models - Shane Parrish 3. Data and Reality - William Kent 4. Angel - Jason Calacanis If you want more book recommendations, you can check this blog post on my 2019 reading list: https://www.masharty.com/blog/my...
Ruben Lozano
Hooked - written by Nir Eyal with Ryan Hoover. :D This book blew my mind! Amazing... I was reading and taking notes all the time. 100% recommended. Hooked
Tom O'Malley
I'm in the middle of Allen Carr's The Easy Way to Mindfullness. From quitting smoking to conquering a fear of flying, the man just has a way of hypnotizing readers into bettering themselves on a wide array of fronts.
Toby Egbuna
My goal is 3 books/month this year. Here's what I read with rankings - Just Mercy - Bryan Stevenson (1st) - Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card (3rd) - Originals - Adam Grant (2nd)
Lena Sesardic
I read Obviously Awesome by April Dunford - absolutely recommend to really understand positioning. I also read Rob Walling's Start Marketing The Day You Start Coding, which is a compilation of some of his best articles and he provides it as a free ebook! https://robwalling.com/assets/eb...
Steve Snygin
@lena_sesardic Cool. What's the take away from Obviously Awesome?
Lena Sesardic
@4th_roommate she provides a 10 step process that helps you re evaluate and reconstruct your positioning statement. Her main point is that the category you define your product in can either help you or hurt you depending on what light it puts you in and adjusting that can save u. There’s a good article on the Userlist blog about how they used her framework for their product to fix their positioning and finally got a lot of customers. https://userlist.com/positioning...
Sean Jackson
Superforecasting: The Art and Science of Prediction by Philip E. Tetlock
Sean Jackson
@4th_roommate Absolute must read book for anyone that is running a business. A lot of business planning is about forecasting and the methods they discuss in the book are essential to help people understand that process.