10 learnings on Twitter audience building: from 0 to 8000 in 7 months.

Sveta Bay
47 replies
Why am I talking about it? Because Twitter is our Top-2 traffic source for www.makerbox.club, requiring a $0 budget. Consistency and personal brand pay off. Here're the learnings: 1. Niche down 2. Treat your Twitter profile like a product 3. Create a content matrix 4. Mix professional and personal 5. Don't spam with your product 6. Focus on your experience, not on the theory 7. Don't be a copycat 8. Connect with people 9. Be kind 10. Experiment a lot What would you add?

Replies

Richard Gao
Thanks for sharing! Do you have a newsletter post which goes more into detail here? For what I'd add, it would be consistency, though I think you may have mentioned it already.
Nimesh
Thanks for sharing, it's nice to have it simplified like so. What do you mean by content matrix?
Sveta Bay
@supnim @gloria_ayanbimpe glad you asked! For me, it's a list of tweet formats vs topics. Example of tweet formats: 1-liner, engagement question, a thread, an image (meme or graph) For topics, I have 4 big topics that I tweet about: productivity, marketing, audience building, progress update (#buildinpublic) So, the matrix is where you combine these two. For example, each Monday I share a thread about marketing, and each Sunday it's a meme about audience building. That's it!
@basv Thanks for breaking it down Sveta! Would be really helpful for me. Meanwhile we just launched and would really appreciate your support and feedback (https://www.producthunt.com/post...) Thank you so much
Nimesh
@basv thanks for sharing, I've got some actionable :)
Sebastian Janus - derStartupCFO
Also curious about the content matrix. I haven't used it yet - after looking it up it seems like a pretty simple canvas that helps to structure content by type. I am also curious @basv how do you use the content matrix? How often do you create it? And do you simply use it to structure your ideas or is it a more detailed planning?
Sveta Bay
@derstartupcfo glad you asked! For me, it's a list of tweet formats vs topics. Example of tweet formats: 1-liner, engagement question, a thread, an image (meme or graph) For topics, I have 4 big topics that I tweet about: productivity, marketing, audience building, progress update (buildinpublic) So, the matrix is where you combine these two. For example, each Monday I share a thread about marketing, and each Sunday it's a meme about audience building. That's it! I created it once and change it a little bit constantly. Also, it's not a must for me, but helps a lot when I'm lack of ideas.
Sebastian Janus - derStartupCFO
@basv That makes so much sense! I feel like with the matrix you can give your content more dimensions as it reminds you of different types to post about. Thank you for giving your insights!!
Sara Intikhab
I am so glad to have come across this right now. Just thinking of building a public profile. Thank you for this. Would love to connect with you if that is okay for more tips on this
Uday Patel
You can a little AI based content creation and automation to increase reach and keep your feed alive
Sveta Bay
@uday_patel4 what to you mean by a little bit? πŸ˜„
Uday Patel
@basv sorry i meant to say mix your feed with auto generated content based on certain topics or service or product so your feed is always up to date.
haha.og
I would add: DON'T CHANGE YOUR PROFILE PIC! Thanks for the tips!
Martin Ratinaud
Nice, thanks For this, I used the insights of TweetHunter. Just sign up http://tweethunter.io/?via=staki... and you will have an incredible series of emails with awesome insights. And this is free. You can then buy their product to grow your audience but only the emails are already a gold mine
Sveta Bay
@martin_ratinaud I prefer Hypefury πŸ˜„
Martin Ratinaud
@basv I didn't know it. Will have a look
Dara Khan
thanks, I want to be more active on twitter, this would definitely help.
Raju Singh
Getting the right inspiration for the content is super fun and critical. For me, thats something that has worked slow but shown results.
Aurelie Giard-Jacquet
Thank you, Sveta, for your insight, and congrats on the achievement! It looks like consistency and regularity are part of your success too.
Ágh Helmut
Thank you for sharing your learnings! 0-8000 in 7 months is an amazing achievement!
Sveta Bay
@aghhelmut Thank you 😊
Jasper Ruijs
How much did you engagement with other content creators with audience overlap?
Sveta Bay
@jas801 didn't catch the question. But for engagement, I usually spend most of the time in comments to my tweets now. I wish I had 1 extra hour to engage with other creators πŸ˜„
Aaron O'Leary
What do you mean by focus on your experience, not on the theory?
Sveta Bay
@aaronoleary good question! There're a lot of threads on Twitter describing some theoretical aspects. But the thing is that personal experience works much better cause this information is unique. Theoretical thread: how to conduct a usability test in 10 steps. Thread based on personal experience: My 10 learnings from conducting a usability test. The second one works X10 better πŸš€
Piwowarczyk
What is Top-1 traffic source for MakerBox?
Johannes MΓΌller
Any tips on how to create a content matrix?
Jun Gong
Treat your Twitter profile like a product πŸ’ͺ Wondering what other channels you use for distributions
Igor Sadkin
11. Utilize Twitter polls and surveys to gather audience insights
Igor Sadkin
12.Host Twitter chats or Q&A sessions to build community and foster engagement
Igor Sadkin
13.Encourage user-generated content and share it on your profile