Welcome to Makers Festival, the "No Code Edition."

Emily Hodgins
117 replies
Say hi and introduce yourself πŸ‘‹πŸ»

Replies

Ryan Hoover
Ryan here from Product Hunt! Excited that we're focusing on this Maker Festival on "no code" solutions. Here's a quick primer on the category for those curious. Looking forward to seeing what everyone makes. πŸ™ŒπŸΌ
Sandhya Ramachandran
Yay! @rrhoover @emilyjsnowdon absolutely love the idea of a "no code" product. Looking forward to this year's @producthunt #MakersFest
Emily Hodgins
@rrhoover @producthunt @thedreamydryad Yay! So excited you're joining the Festival Sandhya πŸ™ŒπŸ»Can't wait to see what you build.
Sandhya Ramachandran
@rrhoover @emilyjsnowdon : Super excited! I have been toying with an idea for long. Hoping this will help me put it to work :)
Sandhya Ramachandran
@rrhoover @emilyjsnowdon Plus: a BIG fan of CODA. Been using it for six months now and wishing it releases a firefox and Android version soon :)
XcALIBER8
@rrhoover Thanks, Ryan. What steps are being taken to confirm that no "cheating" takes place? In some instances, it may be hard to tell if truly no code was used to develop the app/product.
Emily Hodgins
I'm Emily, Head of Operations at Product Hunt - can't wait to meet you all!
Gemma Curl
@emilyjsnowdon Yay! Thanks for setting this up Product Hunt. I'm looking forward to making a "no code" product.
Emily Hodgins
@gemmaangelina Hey Gemma! So happy that you're joining this Festival. What category are you going for?
Ben Tossell
@emilyjsnowdon Hello Emily, we've already met many times before πŸ˜„ But in the interest of this thread...I'm Ben, I used to work at Product Hunt but now I run Makerpad - a place to get 1-1 support, templates and tutorials for building powerful applications without code.
tajbik
@emilyjsnowdon this is a great competition for designers that got their start in non-tech design! evens the playing field. taj!
Sanyam Jain
@emilyjsnowdon Hi there! I want to know, are registrations closed ? :-/
Emily Hodgins
@irmatable hi Irma so excited you're joining the Makers Festival! Do you have an idea of what you're going to build yet?
Irma Mesa
@emilyjsnowdon Hi! Yes, I have an idea I've been working on the side and haven't bit the bullet yet on as I've been gathering the content for it. I'm excited that this festival is happening to push over the line and get started on making it.
Emily Hodgins
@_justirma nice! Glad the festival is coming at the right time to help you execute on your idea. Can't wait to see it!
Adrian Cole
@emilyjsnowdon @rrhoover Excited for this. It came just in time as I have been planning a product that is perfectly inline with the social impact theme.
Ganesh Bhat
@emilyjsnowdon Hi everyone. Excited to be doing this for the first time. Can someone share how-to with coda and if there are any specific guidelines we need to follow?
Emily Hodgins
@ganesh_bhat Hey Ganesh. Absolutely. Here is a link to some additional information about Coda. I'm also looping in @evan_pryce from the Coda team.
Evan Davies
@ganesh_bhat @emilyjsnowdon Happy to help! Ganesh feel free to add any questions to our discussion thread here and my team will get you quick answers: https://www.producthunt.com/make... Also feel free to email help@coda.io for 1:1 help as you get started πŸ€—
Madison Taskett
@emilyjsnowdon Hi everyone! I'm a marketer by day, maker by night, currently in Lima, Peru. I can't wait to see what you all make, and I hope my wellness submission helps you let go and relax more. :)
Aaron O'Leary
@emilyjsnowdon @taskett Hey Madison! Cant wait to see what you build, the wellness category is something I am particularly excited about!
Evan Davies
Hi folks - Evan from Coda here! Super excited for this festival and to help folks in the community build docs as powerful as apps πŸš€. I'm joined by a few other Coda experts on the team who can answer any questions you might have. We'll also be running a few live stream doc builds so you can see what's possible (if you want some initial inspiration, check out our Gallery where other Makers have launched their docs at https://coda.io/templates). Let's do this!
Maria Marquis
@evan_pryce Maria Marquis here - also from Coda and standing by to offer assistance! Looking forward to seeing your amazing creations!
Kristopher Berks
@evan_pryce Can you maybe help me with the following challenge? I have several interview transcripts and I would like to analyze those by highlighting certain snippets and give them a tag. So for example the interviewee has said "Building apps takes a long time" and I want to tag this with "effort" and resue this tag later on other text snippets. Functionality is similar to https://atlasti.com. Is something like this possible with Coda?
Justin Hales
@oliphant sounds like a really cool use case for Coda! I just sent you a direct message to connect further
Brad Tollefson
@evan_pryce @justin_hales Hi Justin! I love Coda but am brand new to it. I have a #Tools for Teams project I'd like to try, but could use huge help breaking it down into its Coda bits. How/where most appropriate to describe project in more detail? Thanks!
Brad Tollefson
@evan_pryce @justin_hales Here's my attempt to begin evolvin my NO CODE project idea in Coda- beginning with just copy/paste text - https://coda.io/d/The-GaryVee-Co... Let me know where you think I need to go next, re breaking this all out into a CM For Company's of One.
Stephen Campbell
@emilyjsnowdon I'm in. Looking to revolutionize the Body of Christ (Church) as we know it with my product.
Dianna Allen
@emilyjsnowdon Hey everyone! I'm Dianna. Excited to join the Makers Festival with no code. I'll be entering with an app based around tea and self care/health.
Emily Hodgins
@diannamallen hi Dianna πŸ‘‹πŸ» Sounds great and something totally up my street! I am a big tea drinker and believer in prioritising self care. Very partial to a lady grey, mint or lemon and ginger. β˜•οΈ
Dianna Allen
@emilyjsnowdon Lemon tea and ginger tea <3 Can't wait for you to see my product, Remetea, would love some feedback on it if you ever get a chance :)
Khari Baker
@emilyjsnowdon I’m going to use this experience to setup a launching pad. I have a passion for Making and can’t wait to create a New #LifeHack πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ’―
Emily Hodgins
@kharibaker YES! I'm really excited by the Life Hack category. I love anything that makes my life easier. Know what type of life hack you're going to focus on yet?
El-Hadj Chikhaoui
@emilyjsnowdon Hello guys, glad to be a part part of this ! This is my first fest of anything. Can you guy tell me how we can go about doing this ? Should I just sign up on Coda ?
Evan Davies
@emilyjsnowdon @el_hadj_chikhaoui Excited to have you join this! Yes all you need to do is head to coda.io to sign up. Take a look through the Gallery (https://coda.io/templates) for inspiration, and use this doc to track your progress and plan your submission (https://coda.io/t/_te6h7JnfEF9). Let me know if you need any help as you get started by emailing help@coda.io, or posting in the discussion!
Tkachenko Arthur ~UA~
@emilyjsnowdon thanks for this festival. My name is Arthur and this will be my second CatHaton. NoCode is a great movement and the last few articles from @rrhoover raise a lot of ideas in my head. I mean, if Ryan thinks about it - then we should too.
Aaron O'Leary
@emilyjsnowdon @rrhoover @arthur_tkachenko Cathaton, I love it 😎I agree, no code is great, it breaks down barriers for entry into the making scene which means more makers which means more amazing products!
amir r
@emilyjsnowdon I am a severe Shiny Objects Syndrome patient lol ✌️. Let's hope by joining this festival I can stick to one (or maybe a couple) projects that's worth exploring!
Christine Parfitt
@emilyjsnowdon Hi, I'm looking forward to creating something and seeing what everyone else makes. I've been using Coda for a couple of weeks and I'm already addicted :)
Emily Hodgins
@christine_parfitt hi Christine - glad we can help feed your Coda addiction πŸ˜ƒWhat type of docs have you already built?
Christine Parfitt
@emilyjsnowdon 1. a minimalist crm which essentially just has next steps for each client 2. what's in my fridge so I can keep track and link to recipes 3. a more substantial app for a planting festival - 12 teams will plant trees in 12 areas on a 500 acre site. The app is for the support team to manage delivery to each site and for the team leaders to submit reports and log any incidents :))
Emily Hodgins
@christine_parfitt Oh wow I love that! The planting festival sounds wonderful. A great initiative to be supporting with an app to manage logistics. (I should have an app for what's in my fridge but it wouldn't tell a great story right now πŸ™ˆ). Excited to see what you build for the Festival. πŸ› 
Justin Hales
@christine_parfitt how is your minimalist CRM going? Excited to see what you build!
Kiran N Raja
@emilyjsnowdon This is cool . Hey Can I change the category to submit app at a later stage. And can submit more than one app.
Aaron O'Leary
@kiran_n_raja @kiran_n_raja Hey there! You can only submit one app, drop us a message in support about which category you want it to be in! :)
Ajokee
@emilyjsnowdon Hi Everyone, ready ready ready! Super excited about this!
Emily Hodgins
@ajoke_emekene Welcome πŸ‘‹πŸ»Yes! I'm excited that you've joined. What category are you most interested in?
Quin Caylor
Hi everyone! RN by day, founder and aspiring maker every other time. Very first time doing this. Looked over coda and seems a little complicated for someone like me with zero experience. Can I build with another no-code tool?
Emily Hodgins
@quin_caylor hi Quin! Excited to have you join the festival. Yes you can build with any no-code tool. In fact - we just asked the community for a list of their favorites and they didn't disappoint - check out some suggestions here.
Evan Davies
@quin_caylor Also happy to help you get started with Coda so you can submit for the grand prize! Will reach out directly.
Gurpal Singh Kalra
@emilyjsnowdon I'm Gurpal and I'm really excited about the No Code Edition. Can't give any excuse and gives me a chance to try to make my ideas.
Abhilash Jain
Hey @emilyjsnowdon and everybody else :) I'm excited for this. I've signed up can I add @sidhantpanda as a team member, cant find a way to do this, TIA :)
Emily Hodgins
@sidhantpanda @findabhilash hi Abhilash and Sidhant welcome to the festival! When registering you can add 2 makers, or if you've both registered separately - no problem, you'll be able to list both of you as Makers when you come to submit.
Paul Danyliuk
@emilyjsnowdon Hi everyone! TBH never used Coda before, and it seems pretty confusing-slash-overwhelming right now. But I have an old idea in mind, a habit building technique I once implemented in Google Sheets and then tried to make a native mobile app for it (failed because it was my first app ever and I wasn't skilled enough at the moment, lol). I think this one will be perfect for the compo. Cheers everyone! πŸ™Œ
Evan Davies
@emilyjsnowdon @paul_danyliuk Sounds like a great use case Paul! I'm happy to help you hit the ground running with Coda - I'll send you a dm to set up some time if you're interested! A few inspirations in our Gallery here as well: https://coda.io/templates
Emily Hodgins
@paul_danyliuk Hey Paul - sounds like the perfect time to turn that sheet into an app! @evan_pryce will be able to help get you started with Coda to kick things off.
Paul Danyliuk
@emilyjsnowdon @evan_pryce have been playing around with Coda for a while and I like how it turns out! Very interesting and powerful platform. Some things require tinkering and finding workarounds (like referencing previous rows for cascaded calculations, e.g. yearly interest, or for making input forms), but overall I'm impressed. I guess it's somewhat similar to Airtable? I haven't checked that one out yet, but it's been all over the maker community, and I think their positioning is the same? Airtable is premium though β€” I'm surprised that Coda isn't, and kinda worried that if I use some features that you'll eventually decide to make premium (e.g. integrations), my doc will break. I've checked out the templates, most of which turned out to be Evan's β€” some sick job there! Would've never figured out those things were possible with Coda if not for those samples. Good timing too. I feel like I need a little side project retreat from my main hustle right now. And just a little one like that, doable in a day or two.
Justin Hales
@paul_danyliuk excited to see what you build! And thanks for the feedback. We're working on some of the workarounds you mentioned. Let me know if I can help as you're building your doc πŸ‘