Amrith Shanbhag
Amrith Shanbhag@amrith Β· Head of Social at Product Hunt

πŸš— Get my international driver's license before going to the US

Completed on
@amrith International Driver's License? Woah. TIL. Is this common?
@itsarnavb some countries require an IDP (international driving permit), it is pretty common..
@amrith πŸš—πŸ’¨
@amrith Is your driver's license in English? If so, U.S. doesn't require international driver's permit for most countries. I had an Indian driver's license when I first came here and it is accepted for up to one year in most states in the U.S. (the time allowed differs state to state so you may want to check on that)
@a_patil I did some research on it yesterday, it’s valid for 6 months in the US. Not sure of the states it’s not permitted in.
@amrith In that case, you don't *need* an IDP. If you plan to stay longer than 3 months, I would recommend getting a U.S. driver's license anyway. IDP is simply a permit and isn't valid without your home country license.
@amrith Planning road trips in USA?
@amrith most states in US don't ask for one if your license is in English. If you're living/working then you can get a regular US license.